View Full Version : Little Grebe with Damsel Fly

William Dickson
08-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/1250
ISO 1250

This is an image I captured the other evening, from my hide at the loch side. This Little Grebe was swimming quite quickly back and forth, always with a fish, but then a Damsel Fly. I think the nest was nearby and the chicks were being fed.

Will

gail bisson
08-18-2016, 06:36 PM
The damsel fly is very cool!The eye looks great and image nice and sharp.
I know that the reflection lines up but my eye really wants this image to be rotated clockwise.
I would crop from the bottom to get rid of the transected reflection of the head.
It looks like it was quite dark and grey when you took this image. I would increase the exposure by 1/3.
Nice one Will,
Gail

Glenn Conlan
08-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Great detail and the prey puts it over the top with the perfect low attitude, I agree with a slight rotation

Joseph Przybyla
08-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Hey Will, nice captured, the damselfly really adds interest to the image. Nice feather detail and color, wonderful smooth water for a background. I read the comments regarding rotating the image clockwise which would line the ripple with the frame, I think doing that would result in the birds head and neck appearing off kilter to the right. Just a thought... thank you for posting.

William Dickson
08-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. :S3:

Will

Daniel Cadieux
08-20-2016, 03:34 PM
That damselfly is a really cool prey item! I like the low angle, bow wake. Maybe a bit of rotation, but not much needed. I do agree with cropping off more at the bottom to hide the head.

Arthur Morris
08-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Cool bird and a really neat damselfly. Definitely swimming a bit uphill. Great suggestion on the crop by Dan. The head feathers look a bit coarse to me.

a