PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper Slow Shutter Speed Bath.

Daniel Cadieux
08-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I knew the SS was slow for action, but I pulled the trigger anyhow in hopes of getting a neat effect. It's pretty cool how steady their heads can be despite the rigorous wing flapping action! A Semipalmated Sandpiper went for a bath right after this fella too, and I got also good a couple of ones of that...not pretending every image had a tack-sharp face, far from it, but the ones that did made the attempts much worthwhile!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/4, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp (after a bit of CCW rotation), usual eye work, NR on wings and reflection.

Isaac Grant
08-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Such a nice image Daniel. I tried to get just this type of shot the other day but failed as the bird was too deep in the water and I did not like the outcome. I love that the head and eye are perfectly sharp. The blurred wings are great and the water and reflection take it over the top. Also very nice job with the 7d2 and ISO 1600. I guess my processing skills are not up to par but I am usually not able to get such clean results on mine.

William Dickson
08-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Very nice Daniel. Something different again and it works well. The blur on the wing makes the head look real good. Love the pose and the facial expression. Nice colours

Will

gail bisson
08-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Hmmm....I am thinking that I have deleted many such shots but when I see this posted I am thinking- this is really nice and different and I am regretting my decision.
Great low POV and nice diffuse ethereal light.
Very nice Dan. You have opened my eyes to different possibilities!
Gail

Glenn Conlan
08-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Very special with the drastic sharpness and blurriness, along with the light BG gives this a striking appearance

Tim Foltz
08-19-2016, 02:11 AM
Daniel, I really like this, low angle, sharp where it counts and the bird is isolated with neautral colors, very nice IMO.

-Tim

Ryan von Linden
08-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Fantastic image! I love the motion blur in the wings and tack sharp detail in the head, the low angle and reflection are perfect, and the light is gorgeous! The only thing I'm torn on are the droplets to the left of the bird and in the upper left area of the frame. They just barely show up and I'm finding them a bit distracting because it takes a second to register what they are. I think either cloning them out, or trying to increase their contrast so they actually show up a bit more distinctly, could both be viable options.

Arthur Morris
08-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Love the high key. I am posting a 1/160 sec. puffin wing flap on the blog soon, with the blurred wings. Nice sharp head. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention... Well done.

a