PDA

View Full Version : All Fluffed up. Little Owl.

keith mitchell
08-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
1/800@F8
iso 2000..

Would have liked it with feet,thanks for taking a look.Wanted to photograph this bird against the black bg of the inside of the barn that it lives in.

Steve Kaluski
08-17-2016, 05:38 AM
Hi Keith, I really like this and the black backdrop sets the subject off nicely IMHO. Personally a bit more hight so you are more parallel with the subject rather than slightly looking up, but no deal breaker and that's probably in an ideal world. In doing so you might have had more of the weathered timber and less of the brick??? If IQ allows then I feel you could go a tad tighter. I would look to adding a 1.4x for that bit of extra reach.

Great to see you posting again. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

kerry keyworth
08-17-2016, 08:39 AM
It is a very nice picture Keith, and I am sure you appreciate the help from Steve, good to have new friends isn't it

keith mitchell
08-18-2016, 06:52 AM
Thanks Steve,could try to climb a bit higher but the old leg won't take me there,do think it would stand a tighter crop.Thanks Kerry,this is a good place to make new friends and get lots of help,had some great help from Steve .

Keith.

David Salem
08-18-2016, 09:46 AM
A little tighter crop on the bottom will take care of the OOF wall. A very cute little puff ball and I like the direct stare and the dark BG. Well done

Mike Poole
08-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Nice to see him all puffed up Keith, and I really like that plain black background.

I'd lose the bricks at the bottom, they don't add much for me, and agree that ideally you'd have been higher up, but it doesn't sound realistic at the moment.

Nice work

Mike

gail bisson
08-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Very nice!
Agree with taking a bit off the bottom to remove the red brick.And if you take a bit off the bottom then I would take a little bit off the top.
I like the 1 toenail that is visible so am not missing the feet too much.
Love the weathered wood and the dramatic black BG.
I could also see a version with the bit on feather on lower right side of bird removed.
Gail

keith mitchell
08-19-2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks David,Mike,and Gail.Had the idea that the red of the bricks might add a little colour to the image,good to read the thoughts of others on this.Gail did toy with removing that feather.

Keith.

William Dickson
08-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Hi Keith, love the black BG on this. It makes the owl pop. Agree with taking the bricks out. And, some from the top. Love the facial expression.

Will

keith mitchell
08-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks Will,will post next one with the suggestions made.

Keith.

kerry keyworth
08-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks Steve,could try to climb a bit higher but the old leg won't take me there,do think it would stand a tighter crop.Thanks Kerry,this is a good place to make new friends and get lots of help,had some great help from Steve .

Keith.

yes u had quite a bit from others in the past too, didn't you, but written off now!