PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kingbird Parents at Nest.

Daniel Cadieux
08-14-2016, 10:15 AM
These guys nested late - likely a second brood. Two nestlings are tucked inside, waiting for their next meal. I lucked out when both parents showed up at the same time, and both gave perfect head angles before proceeding with the actual food transfer. I was also lucky both heads were within the dof of the wide open aperture (I did not expect both to show up at the same time). It was a tricky nest to photograph in the sense that the only clear view of it was when facing south or south-east - basically ruling out any sunny day images (artistically speaking).

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF, the nest was lined with sky-blue filament which I modified to a more natural colour, a leaf poking up from the left bird's head cloned out.

Joseph Przybyla
08-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Lovely image, I like both parents at the nest. The composition with the diagonal flow from the branch in the upper right to the nest and leaves in the lower left is very pleasing. Thank you for sharing, Daniel.

Ryan von Linden
08-14-2016, 12:47 PM
I really like this image. Getting both adults at the nest at the same time is nice, and having great HA's from both is really special. The inclusion of prey is icing on the cake. Wish we could have seen at least one of the nestlings, but it's a fantastic shot as is.

Bill Dix
08-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Tough to get two birds to cooperate as nicely has these have. You must treat them well. The insect wing is a nice touch.

arash_hazeghi
08-15-2016, 01:32 AM
Very nice Dan, love the nest and the food item, both have good HA too

TFS

William Dickson
08-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Lovely image Dan. The colours on the leaves and BG go really well together. Lovely pose on both birds and great detail as usual. Nice image, very pleasing to the eye.

TFS

Will

Glenn Conlan
08-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Very nice Daniel it gives a very Audubon style, many thing of interest.Well done!