PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack loon

Ryan von Linden
08-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Canon 6D, 600mm f4 IS II + 1.4x III, Manual, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 2500, handheld from kayak
Removed a ripple in the background that created a blurred white circle above and behind the loons head, slight crop for angle and composition, processed in LR CC.

Shot this last weekend while camping in the Adirondacks. This was the first morning out and I was approaching two loons that were joined by a third and then a fourth. After photographing the group of four for a while a fifth loon swam up and I was able to float along with all five of them for quite some time while they dove and preened. At one point this bird broke off and approached to within 10 feet of the bow of my kayak, I captured this image as it was approaching. The disturbed water in the background was created by the other four loons. I like how it provided a contrasting background for the loons head, but I would be interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Ryan

Colin Driscoll
08-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Nicely done, particularly HH in a kayak. I'd be terrified of dropping the gear.

Richard Flack
08-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Lovely image Ryan, the IQ is great and I really like the pose and the foreground. Personally I would have preferred an all green background but these things are super subjective. TFS

Arthur Morris
08-13-2016, 02:52 PM
I think that it is a pretty darned good image and that it is super sharp with wonderful IQ. I don't mind the disturbed white water but wish that the section behind the bird was a bit muted like the section to our right of the loon. Here is a big-time welcome to BPN. Where do you live?

a

ps: thanks for your membership support. Also, please try to comment on five images whenever you post an image for critiquing. That keeps us in the swing of things.

Joseph Przybyla
08-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Nice IQ, striking color on the bird. I like the image design and composition. Thank you for sharing.

Ryan von Linden
08-13-2016, 06:45 PM
I think that it is a pretty darned good image and that it is super sharp with wonderful IQ. I don't mind the disturbed white water but wish that the section behind the bird was a bit muted like the section to our right of the loon. Here is a big-time welcome to BPN. Where do you live?

a

ps: thanks for your membership support. Also, please try to comment on five images whenever you post an image for critiquing. That keeps us in the swing of things.

Thanks for the welcome Artie. I'm in upstate NY, in Schoharie to be specific, about 40 minutes west of Albany. I posted a bit more about myself in the intro section. Here's an edit based on your suggestion, darkened with a bit of desaturation using the local adjustment brush in LR, applied behind the bird and in the corresponding parts of the reflection. I think this is what you were getting at? For my money I guess I could go either way, I kind of like the extra bit of color in the as-shot version but see the appeal of the alternative as well.

Daniel Cadieux
08-14-2016, 07:47 AM
I like the incoming pose, and the smooth-looking feel of the head. Good focus on the eye, and good job with the exposure. I'm with Richard in having preferred an all green BG, but I do think the image is effective regardless. Sounds like you had a great time with those loons!

Christian Muellner
08-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Hello Ryan,

not having that much experience I guess this is a super-sharp image under these circumstances.

This green tone is fabulous! I personally don't mind the bright water or the part above the head. The bird's look is captivating.

Christian