PDA

View Full Version : A Young Lion Portrait

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-11-2016, 02:35 PM
A pair of young lions at Ruaha NP. Focused on the one in the FG and went for a close up to highlight those gorgeous eyes and the stare. The number of flies/ticks and bugs were amusing as the lion wasn't too bothered about them.
1/1000
f/5.6
ISO 800
5D III
700mm

keith mitchell
08-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Sanjeev I am trying to hone my skills on critique and looking at things that I might like to change,apart from those few twigs on the left which are out of your control I think this is excellent ,beautiful fur texture and lots of fine detail even the flies on the face look sharp.

Keith.

haseeb badar
08-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi Sanjeev -- This is very sharp and nice details ! . I like the eye contact here quite engaging . Though i am not sure of the one in the BG is acting as a distracting element and also the twigs on the LHS are not ideal in my opinion .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2016, 05:26 AM
Hi Sanjeev, how much of a crop is this?

I agree, cubs eyes are always cute, but it's amazing how quickly they grow up and turn into such efficient 'killing' machines. I think having the flies is a great addition and compliments that intense stare. The BKG is a bit distracting, however have you thought of a square crop to isolate the head? Personally I find it a bit 'contrasty', reducing contrast, blacks, highlights & whites tend to help balance things I think, then apply a Luminosity mask at a low %. Adding a Radial filter to slightly darken the BKG provides a bit more standout to the face IMHO.

Seems you have had some great encounters.

Rather than another RP I emailed you a RP outlined in the above. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Bob Miller
08-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Hi Again! Nice portrait....Again I would suggest a vignette to draw the eye into the subject and away from the bg. The fg twig does not bother me!

Gabriela Plesea
08-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Hello Sanjeev,

Lovely lion cub and I really feel sorry for him, those flies bite and they are such a nuisance. I really like the expression on the subject's face, despite the relaxed pose the little one appears very attentive, seems his R ear has picked up something:)

Good thinking on the techs, I am ok with the framing although for more impact and less twigs you could crop closer.

I do see detail in the blacks but they appear slightly chocked to me, which translates into a rather harsh look overall - Steve has given you some good advice above:)

Love this "in your face" effect you have achieved by getting so close, sharpness is there in good measure and those eyes are mesmerising. An attractive frame I so enjoyed viewing, thank you Sanjeev.

Kind regards,