PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Bears - (ISO 10k)

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Great to see some 'cool' looking Bears being posted, so I thought I would join in.

Like many of the encounters, this one was curious and came to investigate as we were stationary in the ice for the evening. As I leaned over, he looked up, whilst sitting on the ice flow like an obedient dog. Light was of a premium, but hey, just push the ISO... A little unfortunate having the left rear paw in view in the centre, but this young guy I doubt would understand about being cooperative.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) looking up, whilst sitting on the frozen ice pack.
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO10,000 EV +1.33
Original format: Landscape, small crop for presentation on the sides
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

keith mitchell
08-11-2016, 03:41 PM
Agree with what you say re the paw but that apart this looks excellent the detail is amazing and I did notice the iso Steve.

Keith.

haseeb badar
08-12-2016, 04:58 AM
Hi Steve -- It is popping out of my monitor ! Terrific stuff on that high iso and framing in such a manner that it is so engaging . Good call on the DOF and i agree abt that paw but all in all a very good image at such a high iso .

TFS !

Mike Poole
08-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Before I read your words, the only thing that jumped out to me as a negative was the rear paw - hardly your fault, but it is a same.

Now thats out of the way, we should concentrate on the more positive aspects of the shot, the tones in the fur are beautiful, and there is detail throughout.

The head angle and the inquisitive stare are what really make this shot though, good work on obtaining the level of sharpness from eye to nose

Mike

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Hi Steve, a lovely in-your-face image. Superb colours and details for this ISO and I like the pose and eye contact.

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Cracking quality at the ISO setting (having a lighter subject on light surrounds also helps). Nice frame filler.
Curious on why you weren't comfortable at, say, 1/800 SS for ISO-5000 in this case at same DOF, all things being equal, Steve?

Gabriela Plesea
08-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Dear Steve,

This chap looked straight into your lens, which makes this a very special frame IMO.

Regarding paw: how about taking some more off the bottom, just below those chin hairs? A bit extreme I know...

Perfectly exposed and I love the various nuances of white. Superb pose and all I see in those eyes is extreme curiosity, no aggression. I almost want to touch his fur to see what it's like, soft or coarse?

Detail galore as expected, superb DOF, super techs in the field. This is wonderful and I loved viewing, thank you so much Steve.

PS. Morkel - 1/800s not 100% comfortable I think...Not on a trip when opportunities like this are hard to come by. Steve takes no chances:)

Warmest regards,