PDA

View Full Version : Milky Way from campsite

D. Robert Franz
08-10-2016, 04:21 PM
My wife and I were camping Monday night in the Beartooth Mountains in NW Wyoming. This meadow was right behind camp and I was playing around with some light painting in combination with some natural night provided by the waxing crescent moon. Painted with a small LED flashlight.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5DS R
Lens: Rokinon 35mm F1.4
Copyright: D. Robert & Lorri Franz
Shutter speed: 13 sec
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 4000

Michael Thompson
08-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Nice sharp detail in the sky, good job with the light on the trees, it looks natural. ~ MT

Don Railton
08-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Hi Robert. Very nice.. I might have gone a little bit warmer with WB, as trees are looking a bit blue in patches.

DON

Morkel Erasmus
08-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Nice vertical starscape here Dale, the tall trees add to it.
I just find it a tad too light/luminous? You will find the milky way pops more with overall exposure dropped and specifically the light on the FG more evenly toned...

Andrew McLachlan
08-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Love the sky, but I too feel the trees are a little too brightly lit...perhaps toning them down a touch would help balance this scene a little better.

Chuck Nolan
08-21-2016, 11:55 PM
A great capture! I feel the trees look a little cold, but then it could just be my screen.

Adhika Lie
08-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Single exposure milky way is always tough. I think the bottom could be a little darker and warmer. I wish the milky way was more centered.

Don Lacy
08-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Led lights really have a cool color temp I ended up buying some warm filters from a shop that provides lighting for events and tape the filter cut to size over my flashlight to get a more natural warmer color. I als agree with the others to tone down the trees a bit,

steve torna
09-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Hi Robert, I live in Billings and my daughter and I backpack all summer in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. The thing that hit me immediately is that the image seems confined; it just needs a wider angle view to open up the heavens above the trees. The image leaves me wanting to see more sky if that makes sense. I like the image and the shooting stars in the frame. steve