PDA

View Full Version : Young Giraffe

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2016, 10:19 AM
As we drove through the bush, Mum and a very young giraffe calf emerged crossing our left side, amazing how much ground they can cover even at a strolling pace only then to disappear back into the bush.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Cape Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis giraffa) young female with calf
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO500 EV -0.33
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Joseph Przybyla
08-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Lovely image, Steve. Such a treasure to see, a miniature of the adult. I was sitting here looking at your image daydreaming of if you had both complete in the same frame the calf would get lost because the adult is so big. Such unique and magnificent animals, it must be wonderful to see them in the wild. Thank you for sharing.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Awesome image Steve, great to see the size difference and the comp works well. Great techs too.

Rachel Hollander
08-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Hi Steve - Very nice tones and colors, nice that the youngster cooperated and was on this side of mom. I would consider cropping some off the top so that mom's back is the top of the frame with green only to the right. Just makes the focus on the youngster much more deliberate.

TFS,
Rachel

D. Robert Franz
08-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Interesting juxtaposition here with the calf and mom. Might take a bit off the top of the frame but overall very well done!

haseeb badar
08-11-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi Steve -- You have time and again showed that if the IQ of the image is good then no matter how common a subject or the moment is, it is always a treat to watch . This image falls in that category for me . Well seen and executed .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Nice light and patterns here Steve.
I agree with Rachel's crop suggestion. Perhaps f5.6 or so would have been enough for youngster and created even more separation between mom and calf?