PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Great Horned Owl (ISO 5000)

arash_hazeghi
08-08-2016, 11:24 PM
This is another frame of the juvenile Great Horned Owl. It is very difficult to get this guys in the open on a good perch before the sun goes down. I was lucky here to catch this frame before the owl took off. I had to run up a hill and quick snap a frame, and the 400DO II's light weight was a blessing here!

1DX MKII 400 DO II + 2X III. ISO 5000. f/8 at 1/320sec. Hand held. Processed with DPP 4.4 and neat image. Hope you like it

Tim Foltz
08-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Arash sweet shot, nice BG, eye contact and sharpness, and nice job at 5000 ISO.

-Tim

Arthur Morris
08-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Another sweet one, and sharp. There feathers always look so scruffy. I'd lose the small vertical stub...

a

Steve Kaluski
08-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Hi Arash, sweet image and I love the overall colour palette, agree with Artie about the small branch stub, however I would not consider ISO5000 that high with the MKII :w3.

TFS
Steve

Geoff Newhouse
08-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Excellent frame Arash. I like the right foot grabbing onto that side branch. I also like the natural framing from the leaves above. Great eye contact, and nice and sharp. The extra vertical branch on the end of the perch doesn't bother me. Looks great for ISO 5000.

TFS
Geoff

annmpacheco
08-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Hi arash, yes to losing the stub, also there is a small something on the lower belly of the owl that catches my eye...in back of th right talon that could disappear. I like how you framed this, and the eyes are just stunning, well done.

Bill Dix
08-10-2016, 08:01 AM
What a beautiful shot. Love the alert pose, and the environment. At first glance the whole image seemed a bit on the magenta side, and the whites not quite white; but I'm sure that it accurately reflects the lighting of the moment.

Marina Scarr
08-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Sweet image and juvie. LOVE the framing above with the green leaves and the soft BG. I am not into removing items, but I'd evict that twig.

gail bisson
08-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Man, this a sweet frame!
Love everything about it. The twig could stay or go.It doesn't bother me.
I see the hint of magenta cast that Bill is referring to. Perhaps it is my monitor but if it isn't then it is an easy fix,
Gail

Steve Kaluski
08-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Well I'm struggling folks to see any Magenta cast, the image has a lovely late evening feel, with a hint of warmth IMHO and the overall colours look pretty darn good, as per my original reply.

gail bisson
08-11-2016, 12:52 PM
A
Well I'm struggling folks to see any Magenta cast, the image has a lovely late evening feel, with a hint of warmth IMHO and the overall colours look pretty darn good, as per my original reply.
And as per my original reply, I see a hint of a magenta cast. We have to agree to disagree.

arash_hazeghi
08-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks everyone,

Gail and Bill thanks but I can't see a magenta cast on my 32" 4K NEC wide gamut scree which has been calibrated with Xrite i1. It must be your monitors that are not calibrated or unable to render the colors

Ann, I have no idea what you are seeing there

best

William Dickson
08-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Well done again Arash. Lovely looking frame with great detail and I really like the pose and the expression on the birds face. No magneta cast here on my 5K iMac

TFS

Will

Mike Poole
08-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Lovely frame Arash, the composition with the overhead foliage is nice. The vertical twig isn't ideal, but doesn't really harm the shot for me. Great soft light, nice work

Mike

arash_hazeghi
08-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Lovely frame Arash, the composition with the overhead foliage is nice. The vertical twig isn't ideal, but doesn't really harm the shot for me. Great soft light, nice work

Mike

Thanks Mike, actually there was no light here (sun was behind the hills and owl in the shade!)

David Salem
08-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Wow, how lucky you were to get this guy out in the open! Not easy to get, at least for me. The frame looks great, especially the direct stare and the foliage. Looks sharp and clear, especially for the high ISO. I don't see a color cast either. Well done

Glenn Conlan
08-12-2016, 06:05 PM
A raptor on my wish list in such a great setting, well done Arash detail and exposure perfect as alway, lose the vertical twig

Frank Schauf
08-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.