Av(Aperture Value) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1
ISO Speed 200
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x III
Focal Length 700.0mm
Location Bempton cliffs

This was one of a pair that were practicing pair bonding collecting potential nest material. the bare earth is where this and other pairs have collected grasses.

Adhika Lie
08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
That background is soo different than what we have in California, Jon. I love the look back pose and the wing's pattern makes the image for me.

David Cowling
08-08-2016, 02:51 PM
I like the positioning of the bird and the look back pose. Good feather details and the bird set off well by the clean background. Typical North Sea colour. I'm assuming Bempton? There is a dark line running down the right hand side of the neck, probably shadow.

keith mitchell
08-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Jon that BG really helps lift the bird,very much like the composition of the bird on the steep bank,twig in the beak adds loads of interest,nice work Jon.

Keith.

Tim Foltz
08-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Nice pose, environment and detail, I would just loose some real-estate from the left and top.

-Tim

Isaac Grant
08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
I really like the bird against the background and the grassy cliff. It holding the nesting material is also nice. My main problem with this picture is that the head does not look as sharp as the body to me. Is it due to motion blur or was focus on the body? The other thing that stands out to me is that there is a very blurry area of grass to the right of the dirt on the bottom of the frame and encasing your signature. All the areas to the left and right of there are sharp so it does not make sense that that is blurry. Was something cloned out?

Jonathan Ashton
08-09-2016, 05:24 AM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments.
Well spotted Isaac I attach a screen shot of the DPP conversion, the focus was on the eye but there was movement - probably a gust of wind. There were a few feathers around my name bottom right corner. Note however that the grass is blurred, there was quite a strong wind - you can see movement in the grass and the gannets feathers are riffled too.