PDA

View Full Version : Theme Clouds of Dust

Morkel Erasmus
08-04-2016, 04:47 PM
I had to pop one in for the theme before I head to the Mara Triangle to host a Great Migration photo safari.
And guess what - it's a photo of a great migration crossing :)

This was the scene that greeted us 15 minutes after landing in the Mara last year. Proper eh?
We had about 13 of these dusty epic crossings during that 6 day trip, hoping for more of the same this time around! :bg3:
I went for a wider perspective here to get the dust, the clouds and the building crossing in.

See you all around 14 August again :cheers:

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 92mm
f7.1 | 1/2000 SS | ISO-200

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi Mork, amazing B&W image shown the commotion & drama that Mara has to offer at this time. Great idea to go wide and beautifully processed!!

Rachel Hollander
08-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Hi Morkel - this wide view isn't often depicted. Great atmosphere shot and I love the zebras in the clear in the lower left. The toning looks good.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
08-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Hi Morkel -- This is an exceptional piece of art , welll seen and executed . I love your B&W images for the fact that they are so creative and always well processed nothing looks excessive . Loved it !

TFS !

D. Robert Franz
08-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Beautiful presentation in B&W... You had very good luck with crossings!

Steve Kaluski
08-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Conveys the mass crossing well, but I find the clouds a bit too 'processed here Morkel, as the conditions here are normally/or have been very bright, (as indicated on the lower half of the image) and the clouds quite white????

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2016, 05:11 AM
thanks everyone!

Conveys the mass crossing well, but I find the clouds a bit too 'processed here Morkel, as the conditions here are normally/or have been very bright, (as indicated on the lower half of the image) and the clouds quite white????

noted, Steve, but purposely processed to obtain more tonal difference between the dust clouds and actual clouds, and there was some blue in them which looked stormy :)

Andrew McLachlan
08-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Very nicely executed Morkel...love the dust and commotion, but I think the zebras in the lower left really anchor the image nicely!

Stuart Philpott
08-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Deeply evocative Morkel ,as is so oft the case with your work and as is also so often the case, not the everyday perspective one might go for. The notes about the clouds are interesting mate,the clouds especially convey the feeling of an old pen and ink study too me.
Deeply interesting and inspiring Morkel TFS

take care

Stu