PDA

View Full Version : Common Snipe

Geoffrey Montagu
08-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Captured this image on our trip to Iceland at Lake Myvatn this July. It was a fairly overcast day, but not bad light. This is a lifer for me, and how exciting it was. We approached him stealthily, but I'm sure he had spotted us very early on. He was very busy grooming while giving us a glance from time to time. I liked keeping him small in the frame. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/2500s, F 5.6, ISO 2500, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Keith Swindell
08-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Geoffrey,

I like this image, keeping the bird fairly small in the frame helps give it a sense of place. I can't help wondering, however, if it were possible to be a little higher or lower to keep the background behind the bird a solid color rather than two-toned? I find the color change behind the bird's head distracting. Perhaps if you are good with Photoshop (I am not!) you could alter the background to make it homogeneous?

Keith

Adhika Lie
08-03-2016, 11:27 AM
It feels like the bird is not quite sharp on this one. But it's a very nice composition. I second Keith's comment on the two toned BG.

Marina Scarr
08-03-2016, 02:37 PM
This is a very special small in the frame image!!! Your layered background, lichen-covered rock and the color palette truly make for an eye-catching and interesting image.

keith mitchell
08-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Geoffrey very well done getting this shot,I like it small in the frame but agree with Keith's comment about the bg would like to see it with a more of a panoramic crop,just my personal take of course.That,a very nice preening pose you got.

Keith.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-05-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Immediately after posting I realized it needed a bit more sharpening.

Geoffrey