PDA

View Full Version : Redshank Chick

Bill Dix
07-27-2016, 07:33 PM
The short Icelandic breeding season was underway during our trip, so there were chicks of many species around. Sometimes we had to worry about not stepping on them. This Redshank chick was running around in tall grass which obscured him most of the time, but here he stood up for a brief moment, allowing me to capture most of him -- just not that other leg. Still, I like the frame.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1000, 1/800s @ f/7.1 manual.

arash_hazeghi
07-27-2016, 07:39 PM
I like the raised foot and the display of habitat but I find the two grass blades crossing the chick a it distracting. The head doesn't look quite sharp to me, was the RAW sharp ?

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
07-27-2016, 07:53 PM
How cute is this! I love the grassy habitat, and the huge raised foot. The two blades in question, although better had they not been there, do not bother me much at all. Good vertical comp - I imagine cropped form horizontal. The bill looks sharp to me, perhaps the fuzzy nature of the downy feathers made the face look softer?

Marina Scarr
07-27-2016, 08:29 PM
What a cutie-pie. I love the raised foot as well as the buds. The head could use more sharpening and I'd like to see a tad more room on the bottom for the virtual feet. Those are some long feet.

gail bisson
07-28-2016, 05:54 AM
This gets a 10/10 on the cuteness factor!
Agree to more sharpening around the eye area and a bit more room on the bottom with some off the top.
I like the raised foot and the grasses really portray the environment well. I am OK with all of them.
I would tone down the bright white tip on the blade of grass to the right of chick.
Gail

Bill Dix
07-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments. Arash, the bird was fairly sharp (if there is such a thing) in the RAW file, but not razor-sharp. (I can already see your response -- either it is sharp or it isn't.) Unfortunately the sharpest element is that blade of grass.

Yes, this was cropped from horizontal. I've eked out just a little more room for the virtual leg at the bottom, and removed a few of the brightest white spots, and taken some of the sharpness out of the blade of grass so it won't compete. I didn't attempt to remove it. This repost may be just a tad sharper on the face, but I doubt it can get any more so if the AF was on the grass.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Great capture, Bill. Nice work in the repost. Wonderful raised foot, overcast light, and head position.

Geoffrey

arash_hazeghi
07-28-2016, 09:46 AM
That's what I suspected Bill,it explains why the head looks soft.

TFS

annmpacheco
07-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi Bill, I like your repost and the head sharpness is more pleasing as well as the grasses, all in all a very cute frame!

keith mitchell
07-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Bill would not have believed that bit of grass would make that difference,we live and learn.The repost shows this little chap off beautifully.

Keith.

MiroslavMaric
07-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Like the pose, frame and light. Good work in RP.
Cheers,
Miro

Ritesh Nangare
07-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Love the raise foot here .... love the pose and beautiful soft bundle of joy ....

TFS,
Ritesh.....

Bill Dix
07-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Thank yo all.