PDA

View Full Version : Misty Morning on Horseshoe Lake

Andrew McLachlan
07-25-2016, 07:46 PM

I have just returned home from a week up at the cottage on Horseshoe Lake near Parry Sound. On one particular morning the temperatures were quite cool at 10 degrees Celsius, which created a lot of thick mist over the lake. I set out in the canoe to create some misty morning, sunrise images near one of the small islands. Here is one of the images I processed this evening.

Nikon D800
Nikon 24-85mm VR Lens @ 24mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1/160 sec
No filters
Handheld from canoe with Vibration Reduction and Virtual Horizon activated.

Look forward to comments and suggestions.

Don Railton
07-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Hi Andrew

Wonderful moody setting, love it..! The tension set up by the dead tree heading slowly for the lake makes it I think.. As a suggestion, and because its almost there anyway, could you make this a B&W sepia toned image? I think that would easily remove the orange ring around the sun, which i would then back off a little as its pulling my eye away from the island a little too much..

DON

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Hi Andrew - Love the mist and mood of this one. I also like the sunrise color but agree the sun draws the eye slightly. My only suggestion might be to take a sliver off the bottom.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
07-28-2016, 01:12 AM
These shots are hard to do well. This one is done very well....
Agree with maybe a tad off the bottom.

Morkel Erasmus
07-28-2016, 03:37 PM
This is a super shot, Andrew! :5
Love it....agree you can shave some off the bottom but it works well for me as posted.

Andrew McLachlan
07-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks so much for the comments folks, much appreciated!

Michael Thompson
07-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Very nice! I like the composition, really cool island, and the fog let you get a good exposure of the sun and still got good light in the whole image. great colors too.

Adhika Lie
08-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Everything has been said. It's a really nice image. I think the sun made the image (especially compared to your #2 post). I am debating a slight CCW rotation to make the trees vertical but of course you might have tried that and got a worse result.