PDA

View Full Version : Tern with fish at ISO 10000

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2016, 02:21 AM
I don't usually like photographing when the sun is not in the sky, the images usually suck. Here I was trying to stretch the limits a little bit with the 1DX2. I was really impressed I could grab focus on this tern with the 400 DO II + 2X III. The sun had already set, it was dark and as you can see there was very little contrast between the tern and the BG. This frame came out a keeper and it even prints nice 8x10. There were many sharp frames in this light...something I didn't expect.

1DX2 400 DO II + 2X III. ISO 10,000 f/8 at 1/1600sec. hand held. processed with DPP 4.4. NR in neat image. added a the faith catchlight.

Processing this image is also a challenge as the low contrast detail is hard to maintain at such high ISO. Unlike high ISO images taken under sunlight or from birds with distinct patterns in their plumage, here you have to make sure the subtle textures (the wing surfaces) aren't compromised when applying NR.

I Hope you like it.

Randy Stout
07-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Arash:

Nice discussion of the tech. challenges involved here. Effective result. Excellent pose, prey item, pop of color from bill and fish, all work.

I might frame it just a bit looser ahead of the bird.

Cheers

Randy

Adhika Lie
07-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Thanks for detailing the specs, Arash. I am wondering how it looks like before and after NR in 1:1. If I understand this correctly, that high ISO would certainly limit your print size. Is that right?

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Hi Randy, thanks I don't have more room as this was almost a full frame horizontal capture, can add canvas but I wanted to show the details.

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks for detailing the specs, Arash. I am wondering how it looks like before and after NR in 1:1. If I understand this correctly, that high ISO would certainly limit your print size. Is that right?

it depends on how large you want to print. 8x10 looks good but probably not going to make a 30" wide print.
I'll post a close crop from original later

best

Arthur Morris
07-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Folks do not realize the high level of skill needed to hand hold the 400 DO II/2X III/1DX II combo. You are right up there with the best of the best...

a

Kirk Benson
07-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Really impressive work here in both capture and processing Arash. I absolutely love the pose of the Tern, great HA, and the fish is a nice bonus. Masterful work!

Kirk