PDA

View Full Version : Indian Rhino portrait

Andreas Liedmann
07-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Hi all ,
well going back to my images taken earlier this year in northern India ... home of the wonderful One horned Rhino
This guy was a subadult that i saw during an elephant safari , even from the back of the elephant i could get a decent POV .. i think .
Taken on a ( as always ) foggy morning ride .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200-400 IS L at 266 mm
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 3200 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped for comp from all sides

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi Andreas - Yes, an excellent pov from the back of the elephant. You've brought out very nice textures and details. Interesting to see the flaps of the neck. I like his jaw in the air, proud pose too.

TFS,
Rachel

Saurabh Singh
07-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Dear Andreas,

I really liked this. Subject really pops out from the BKG .

The variation of subtle greys and textures of rhino skin makes this very interesting image.
My eyes a bit drawn to the upper neck-area on the left . A bit selective brightening on the face esp. the eye will surely take it to another level.

It's the elephant grass behind the subject , I guess it’s from Kaziranga ( North-east ) UNESCO world heritage site, and one of the finest forests we have in India.
It’s really exciting and inspiring how you handle the tones and texture variations in your subject . Wish I could do the same with my images in future.:S3:

I can understand the position of photographer esp. in India on ele back . And I think you have handled it well.

Regards
Saurabh

John Hackney
07-22-2016, 10:52 PM
This is a very lovely portrait. Your colors are rich and vibrant despite the subdued light. Wonderful detail.

Stuart Philpott
07-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Andreas,the head lift is it scent orientated . As has been mentioned the textures captured bring out the almost prehistoric nature of this amazing rhino for me,it's a stunning portrait Andreas so well captured,pov works for me. It like he's just stopped mid meal to see who you are,enchanting my friend really so. Thanks for sharing
take care
Stu

haseeb badar
07-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Hi ANdreas -- A delightful portrait ! Excellent details and very nice tonal range . I really liked the slightly elevated head and the POV is great inspite of being on the back of an elephant.
Personally i feel the ss of 1/1600 in this case is quite low for the simple reason for being on the back of an elephant , it is quite challenging to handle a big lens from the back of the Ele, but you did very well and the result is for all of us to see .

TFS !

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Hi Andreas, was this shot towards the end of the day? Love the texture and tones here and to me the techs look fine, as you would have probably needed to go to 6400 ISO for not much more SS???

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Just a cracking portrait here - one of the best I've seen of this species, Andreas!
Nothing more to add, really enjoyed the textures, pose and soft light here :cheers:

D. Robert Franz
07-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Nice detail and soft lighting.. Good composition. A great subject for sure!

Arthur Morris
07-26-2016, 07:50 PM
The textures here are way over the top. Thus, I love the image.

a

Andreas Liedmann
07-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks all folks for your kind comments , as always much appreciated .

Steve ... shot was taken in early morning

Artie ... what means " way over the top " regarding the textures ..? Too much ? from your POV

Anyway thanks again , cheers Andreas

Arthur Morris
07-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Andreas, "Way over the top" means fantastic.

artie