PDA

View Full Version : Black Guillemot

Geoffrey Montagu
07-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Having just returned from our great trip to Iceland, I've finally started going through my images. Kept watching a number of these great looking birds fly in and out of the rocky shore bank, where I'm sure they were feeding their young in a nest. They would fly down to the sea and proceed to dive for a number of types of fish. This Guillemot landed quite close to us with a fish call a Sea Scorpion. C&C welcome.

How great a surprise it was running into Gail Bisson on the ferry. Wonderful meeting you Gail.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/1250s, f 8.0, ISO 1250, Gitzo Tripod, Wimberly Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

arash_hazeghi
07-22-2016, 12:23 PM
very cool Geoff! I like the pose with a good HA and the exclusive prey! I'd got vertical for this one to show the details of the prey better. good exposure and details

TFS

Keith Swindell
07-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Very nice image! Unless, of course, you are a sea scorpion! ;-)

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2016, 07:23 PM
The prey fits this months theme:t3. Perfect head angle. The blacks are perfectly handled, the whites may have a bit more detail to tease out but still look OK as is. The rock perch is very good. I kinda wish the pale area behind the bird did not extend to above the head. Strong image overall, you should be quite happy about it!

John Hackney
07-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Wonderful image, great sharpness and love the prey item.

Bill Dix
07-23-2016, 08:20 AM
Nicely done, Geoffrey! For a bird that looked very black in the field, you've managed to pull a lot of detail out of the blacks -- tough to do without blowing that white patch. And the Sea Scorpion is definitely a contender for the Theme. A handsome frame of a handsome bird.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
07-24-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Geoffrey,
This is excellent. The blacks look great and what a catch! Love that scorpion.
Good comp.
Lovely meeting you and I look forward to more images from you.
Gail

annmpacheco
07-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Lovely image Geoffrey, great pose and what a catch as well! I spot three eyes as well as the guillemont! Sorry I missed you and Bill on the ferry as I was taking some sleep, next time! looking forward to more of your trip.

David Salem
07-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Great looking frame!! Love the scorpion fish that we can see well and the pose is perfect. The exposure looks spot on and the details in the feathers is fantastic. One of your better frames posted. Very well done

Geoffrey Montagu
07-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Thanks Gail, Ann, and David. Again, it was wonderful meeting you Gail and I too am looking forward to seeing more of your images. Ann, sorry to have missed you also, but I'm glad you caught up on much needed sleep. Yes, next time!

Geoffrey