Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 1600
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Focal Length 400.0mm

This is a genuine representation of the original file, do you notice something odd?
Not sure what the prey is, I was wondering if it might be a grasshopper.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Very unique image, Jonathan. Great soft light on this wet individual. Like the perch and the drops of rain. The food bit is a bonus.

Geoffrey

Randy Stout
07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Jon:

Interesting mix of rain drops, enough to tell the story without obscuring the subject. Nicely bedraggled from the water, food a plus, noise well controlled.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
To answer your question: If this is the genuine representation of the original file then I would say what looks odd is the crop not in 3:2 ratio. Probably not what you are looking for...

I love the wet look and the rain, not to mention the insect - perhaps a katydid. Awesome details, good BG. The perch is quite interesting but rather overwhelming (IMO), and the image has a strong blue-green cast. My cropping suggestion, plus color balance tweak (added reds and a touch of magenta) hopefully address those appealingly.

Jonathan Ashton
07-23-2016, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was far from happy with the colours, I will have another look.

The "odd" thing about the image... take a look at his left leg and foot, it looks as though it should be on the other side!

Randy Stout
07-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Jon:

I think he just turned the foot/leg to enable a grip.

I do like Dan's repost, keeps a lot of the interest of the perch, without overpowering the bird so much.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
07-24-2016, 02:35 AM
Here is a repost, I think the colours are a little better