PDA

View Full Version : More Bells..

Don Railton
07-20-2016, 04:38 AM
Hi Guys

A section of the river inland of Perth known as Bells rapids. I am wondering if you prefer the B&W or the colour version of this.. A perfectly acceptable 3rd option is neither, please don't hold back.

1d4 & 70 to 200 F2.8 @ 115mm, on a tripod
0.4 sec @ F25, iso 100
Mainly processed in ACR, B&W conversion and a little dodging n burning in CS6.

DON

Don Railton
07-20-2016, 04:40 AM
and the colour version

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Hi Don - I prefer the black and white. Lovely blurred rapids. There's something peaceful about the b&w despite the raging rapids. I can also see a more abstract version of just the water with the rocks cropped out.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
07-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Hi Rachel

Thanks for commenting, and especially the comment about the crop off the top to remove the rocks.. This is something also considered so I am glad to hear you comment on this. It simplifies the image and focus in on the water motion IMHO, but I like it as presented also..

DON

Adhika Lie
07-20-2016, 11:12 AM
I am really happy to see the come back of this spot, Don. It reminds me of the last series you did. Definitely B&W. I just don't think the colors in the image go together as a whole. And I like how the B&W accentuates texture on the water both near and far. I must say that I am actually very intrigued by the distant mini waterfalls and I am wishing for a wider shot especially so you won't cut the white streak at the LL corner. But even this one, makes me look for a long time.

Don Railton
07-20-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks Adhika.. This is from the same shoot actually. I have been again since but sun too bright, too many people etc, etc.. I need to go again as we have had lots of rain since. Composing those streaks is a little difficult as they mainly are peices of foam which are randomly distributed in the water. I see what you mean though and there is likely others without being cut, will look..

DON

Don Lacy
07-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Love the BW version Dan all the tone are nice and the comp has a nice flow to it. Also like the ideal of cropping out the rocks

Andrew McLachlan
07-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Nice B&W conversion Don...I like the darker feel to this one...I like the rock on the left, but find the branches in the water (upper edge dead center) to be distracting and would perhaps crop from the top to omit them but still leave some of the rock in the upper left...nice work!

stuart wanuck
08-04-2016, 06:30 PM
like black and white