PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Grebe and chicks

Mike Poole
07-17-2016, 07:21 PM

I'd got permission to go onto a lake in my floating hide this year, specifically aiming for the Grebes, but it didn't look like they were going to breed. I got word a couple of weeks ago that they were on eggs, so managed to get the landowner to let me have a couple of hours i the water with them. I was just slowly gaining trust and moving closer when my time was up, but there was one corner of the lake that had a virtually black background with the way the light was, and I managed to get them swimming in that area for a very short time. For me it was worth the wait, as I've had to do very little PP to this image.

Canon 1dx
500mm f4is and 1.4x ii
ISO 3200
1/1600th f7.1

Mike

John Hackney
07-17-2016, 09:08 PM
That is fantastic. The birds really stand out with that black background. Love the low angle. I am envious of the baby on the back. I am really hoping to get a few shots like that.

Glennie Passier
07-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Mike, I really like where you are going with this. I am very fond of the dark BG and the feather detail. My eyes are begging for a little more light on the water.

My only nit really is the BG. There appears to be some large solid, black lumps that I think could be easily dealt with in PS.

arash_hazeghi
07-18-2016, 03:03 AM
Excellent low angle with a magic light and I absolutely love the dark BG. The BG looks smooth and clean and I wouldn't touch it, so is the water. birds are sharp and show good detail, in a perfect world the adult's head would not have merged with the chicks's head but it is a great frame

TFS

Glennie Passier
07-18-2016, 03:57 AM
That's strange Arash...I can definately see blobs of black??

arash_hazeghi
07-18-2016, 11:11 AM
That's strange Arash...I can definately see blobs of black??

I think it's from your monitor. What kind of monitor are you using ? have you calibrated it?

When the monitor is unable to show the full color gamut it will posterize

Glennie Passier
07-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks Arash. It's a "ViewSonic". Yes. It has been calibrated recently.

Marina Scarr
07-18-2016, 03:17 PM
This image is pretty much a dream come true. Love that dark BG and the birds all pop against it and it shows the feather details so well. A very special image indeed.

arash_hazeghi
07-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks Arash. It's a "ViewSonic". Yes. It has been calibrated recently.

Unfortunately viewsonic don't make a monitor that is suitable for critical image processing and evaluation. They use 6Bit TN panels so posterization will occur. Calibration has little effect on such screens.

If you are serious about photography consider investing on a good screen such as those made by NEC, EIZO or the business models of Dell and HP.

check this article on my blog to learn more http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/color-correction-for-avian-photography/

best

Glennie Passier
07-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Oh OK. I had better not give up my day job.

William Dickson
07-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Well done Mike. Everything 'fits' together real well. It looks magical. Love it. No blobs of black here Just lovely :S3:

Will

Daniel Cadieux
07-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Awesome image!! I love the low angle, dark BG, and the vertically streaked reflections. The only thing I would do if mine is the lighten the riding baby's face and cheek. All else looks fantastic.

Mike Poole
07-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone, it's always good when a shot that's taken a long time to plan materialises.

As much as I love the discussions on here , it'll be interesting to see how the landowner reacts tomorrow when I give him a print to say 'thanks' - I think he's expecting something a bit more 'normal' !

Thanks again

Mike.

p.s Good PP point Daniel, and Arash, I'll see if any of the next frames have some separation.

Glennie Passier
07-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Mike, I'm sure the landowner will be over the moon when he gets his print. And what a lovely idea on how to say thank you.

David Salem
07-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Wow! That is awesome! The dark BG and the well lit birds is a formula for a big time success. I don't see anything in the BG on my calibrated 5K monitor. I wouldn't change a thing. Well done Mike