PDA

View Full Version : Right timing .....?

Andreas Liedmann
07-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Hello folks as most of you might have recognized the loss of our BPN companion and my special friend Andre ... who i shared some things with .... i was struggling to find a way to deal with in terms of keep life going on here on BPN and to show respect for him .
I just found my way back to BPN when i got the message .... that my friend passed away .
Not easy to set all to normal ... as i had to sort out some stuff .. before i could go on with this .
I was not in the mood to post or comment .... even not looking at images .
But today it is time to move on .... i will start with an image of a sequence that i shot during the fabulous journey i had with him and Gabriela in 2014 .
Image was taken at one of their favorite places in KTP .... at Polentswa !
I have chosen this one as we chatted a lot of that shooting .... in terms of difficulties and fun at the same time .

From technical POV i wished i had pushed the ISO to gain more SS .. as for the fast action it was a bit slow to freeze everything .My friend would have thought the same .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 20-400 IS L at 200 mm
HH

F 4,5 ; Iso 160 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC ; cropped to 70 % of FF from all sides apart from the top

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Andreas, we all felt the same, but knowing Andre I'm sure he would not wish us to dwell on his passing, but to live to the full and to capture the animals he too loved and to portray them as best we can - but to enjoy those moments too.

It think you capture the sparring very well the head turn, eye contact and plumes of dust just conveys instantly what is happening. Perhaps 1/2500 as you had plenty of ISO, but hey, I think as it stands it's a well captured moment.

Don't stay away as long, time to get back on that saddle. :w3

TFS
Steve :wave:

Kalin Botev
07-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for sharing this moment. I am sure that you have lots of great memories and emotions you shared with Andre and these images will help you bring them back to you whenever you look at them.
I like the eye contact and action you captured. I even like the slower shutter speed because it gives sense about the movement of the animals.
Kalin

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 02:45 PM
I even like the slower shutter speed because it gives sense about the movement of the animals.

Kalin, you need to be careful, slower and you start getting a blur or softness to the image.

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Hi Andreas - I echo both your and Steve's sentiments. The comp works well to emphasize the action and minimize the distractions in the bg. The eye contact and dust tell the story. Yes, to a little more ss but it works as is.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
07-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you Steve , Rachel and Kalin for your kind comments , as always much appreciated .
Steve i think you are right with the SS ..... at the moment the saddle is a bit high .. but i try to jump on the horse :w3

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
07-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Hi Andreas -- Very well said and I am sure as Steve mentioned in his comment that Andre would love to see all of us clicking images of the animals he loved and keep the learning going on this forum .

This one is indeed a fantastic image and i like the way you have framed it . Giving that sense of action and all the kicked up dust is adding immensely to the frame . Certainly higher ss would have been better but you have pulled out this one nicely . Hope to see you posting more and some from your recent trip of India.

TFS !

John Hackney
07-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Awesome image, I think your shutter speed is probably as low as you want to go with this action. I am sure that you would have had more keepers with a higher speed.

Stuart Philpott
07-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Andreas such a dramatic shot,such drama,I love the dust. Interesting notes on SS thanks for opening up that conversation.

You are all such kind lovely folks my heart goes out to all of you especially Gabby,but I think you are doing something wonderful by sharing these memories shared and created with Andre and Gabby.

take care

Stu

Morkel Erasmus
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
I love this frame, Andreas! Fitting tribute to Andre, and yes we need to look ahead, remember what was and build on that.
The intense framing, action and dust makes this really pop. I'd be keen to see a B&W version too?

D. Robert Franz
07-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Great action and I love the dust.... Not great light but well handled... :cheers: