Exposure Compensation +2/3
ISO Speed 400
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
Focal Length 560.0mm
Flash Type External Flash : E-TTL flash metering
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 1/3

Here is a shot of a different dragonfly, (same species as previous) this was about 20 min after the head first popped out.
All C&C welcome.

Allen Sparks
07-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Hi Jon,
Nice details on the emerging dragonfly - you captured this moment very well. I enjoy shots showing overall habitat even though this one seems just a tad busy for me in lower left. A very fine image still.
Allen

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Hi Jon, like Allen, I too am enjoying this series of images and goes to show you don't always need a macro lens.

Love the acrobatics of these insects as they breakout into their brave new world. Personally I might come up a fraction from the foot to loose the hint of FG leaf, likewise loose the debris on the stem, and the small highlights on the RH leaf in the BKG, however I know you like to keep as much to the original as possible. I might also check any masking applied, as the 'case's head' looks 'soft', albeit it appears to be on the same plane of focus as the emerging hawker, to me????

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks Allen your comments are appreciated. Steve yes I agree, but I think the problem is I applied Nik define - the head area is OOF maybe I should have tempered the Nik Define there.
A agree with both of you the background could be a little less fussy but I am trying to capture these particular images as "true" so I may consider them for competitions - and to some extent depending upon how much you guys like or dislike!

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 12:23 PM
A agree with both of you the background could be a little less fussy but I am trying to capture these particular images as "true" so I may consider them for competitions - and to some extent depending upon how much you guys like or dislike!

Jon, I'm OK with the 'habitat', I just think you could just 'manipulate' a few tiny areas that I doubt anyone would be notice. If you consider some people use pre printed BKG's ( huge NO NO), a few deleted spots I think is fine. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Cheers
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Jon, I'm OK with the 'habitat', I just think you could just 'manipulate' a few tiny areas that I doubt anyone would be notice. If you consider some people use pre printed BKG's ( huge NO NO), a few deleted spots I think is fine. But I do understand where you are coming from.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I am just going through one of my minimal change phases, normally I would doctor or repair slightly.

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
No worries Jon, you could have two versions perhaps which caters for both sides, just make virtual copies. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Fascinating stuff. I love the habitat, especially the large leaf at right. Artistically I would lose the piece on the stem, you could always submit it with it there for contest purposes. The MFD of the 1-4 II is impressive and perfect for opportunities like this!