PDA

View Full Version : A 'Dreich' day in Svalbard

Steve Kaluski
07-14-2016, 04:57 AM
Shot whilst out cursing in the zodiac on the scout for any Wildlife/Avian one morning, as the mist lay heavy across the mountain tops, a very 'grey' day.

Thanks to those who posted a comment or viewed the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Glacier over shadowed by the misty mountains.
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/11 ISO6400 EV -0.67
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop for presentation
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2016, 01:30 AM
I like the framing here Steve, as well as the array of colours that are evident despite the conditions.
I would have liked to see a stitched pano of a bigger view of this range of cliffs, looks like it could be interesting (sure you have a wider view).

Rachel Hollander
07-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Steve - You can feel the cold from this type of day. I like the layers of atmosphere here. What was to the left? I feel like I want to see the complete curve of the iceflow/glacier on the left if possible or at least more of it.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
07-16-2016, 06:13 PM
I love the main structure disappearing into the fog--great colors. The black half-heart shape on the left frame edge draws my eye big time.

a

Don Railton
07-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Hi Steve

The Image has a nice cool mood and the foggy mountain tops work well to provide that. I like the processing & detail in the dark face of the rock (although its a bit dominant) and in the ice by the water. I least like the galcier flowing out of and then back into the frame LHS, and agree that a wider view of the whole scene would work a lot better.

DON

Adhika Lie
07-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Very cool scene, Steve, and the processing is very nicely done. I wish I could see it in person. I am very torn with the three "layers" at the bottom: Snow, rock, water. As a whole it is very strong but feels like it doesn't have room to breathe. So I would echo Artie's & Don's recommendation for going wider.

Don Lacy
07-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Nicely done Steve , wonderful detail on the rock face but like Artie I find the dark area on the left drawing my eye. I would also think about dropping out the water and making it just a bit more abstract.

Andrew McLachlan
07-25-2016, 07:57 PM
A beautiful scene Steve, but do agree on the dark area to the left drawing the eye...love the colors in the main rock structure...looking forward to more from this trip!