PDA

View Full Version : Greenfinch at new pool

John Robinson
07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
This is the first bird done at my new drinking/bathing pool.
Some kind person put a spike through the last one which was nice of them..
Good thing really because the new pool is of a much better design for photography , and the hide is a lot better placed and more comfy so I,m looking forward to the start of ther migration trek home. I take great pleasure in designing pools etc and helping others thawant to do it - if you are going to do it you might as well get it right- after all its only a chunk of water. No more than a bird bath thas not concrete.
This one taken at teaq time today.
Two bean bags on shelf in hide.
50-500 mm Sigma
Nikon D71200
250th sec @f9 1000 ISO
No cropping and only neat image and resize for web
JohnR
Would be interested in colour comments

Graham Wilkes
07-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Looks like a slight red cast on my screen John, could be light reflecting off the sandy soil under the water, or my eyes of course. :bugeyed:
Bird is well caught though, like head turn and feather detail.
Will be interesting to see what turns up here.

Graham

John Robinson
07-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks Graham . No I think you are right, but it could be from the- red soil in that quarry. Others have said the actual bird is OK. But we will see.
Thanks for bothering- suppose its not bad for "man made ":w3
Cheers
John

Glennie Passier
07-15-2016, 01:06 AM
John, I like this very much. I can't comment on the birds colour, but feel it could be on the red side. POV and pose are very nice. I might consider a slice off the top and a tad off the RHS.

House bound most of the time here, so your ponds interest me a great deal. This one looks wonderful! Do you line them?

John Robinson
07-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Hi Glennie. Thanks for commenting. The sand on the bank and under the water is red so that could be it. I did a grey card test yesterday and that showed a slight tendency that way. I sometimes have the auto white on "warm" anyway. As long as the greenfinch is green !!!
Over the years I have lined my pools with about evrything. This one even has some thin carpet in it- to put people off sicking anything through it. You can use plastic, polythene, PVC, Butyl. ground sheets, car tarpauulin, even concrete, or pre formed garden ponds.
Cheers
John

Ritesh Nangare
07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Lovely Bird with Great Details and soft light ..... Loved it fully.

TFS.