PDA

View Full Version : Belly Flop Black Guillemot

Simon d'Entremont
07-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Here's one that I like for the water action and comedic value more than an impressive bird photo. Turns out that under closer inspection, Black Guillemots use a controlled belly flop to land. Just a bit of levels adjustment in Lightroom and standard sharpening, bit of vibrance and clarity.

Canon 7D II
500 F4 II @ 6.3
1/5000
ISO 400

Simon

Lorant Voros
07-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Well done on capturing this fast action with this low angle. It is not an easy shot to take. I'd be tempted to try out a pano crop here placing the end of the splash to the right end. What do you think? TFS.

Jonathan Ashton
07-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Very nice shot but I get the impression there is a blue cast.

Marina Scarr
07-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Can't comment on cast b/c not on a calibrated monitor, but I love this behavior image. The fact that you can see the head and one eye, as well as the red feet, really makes this one work. That wave helps to tell the story.

Arthur Morris
07-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Jeez, and to think that I love everything about this. The action and frozen water are killer good. I love the raised wing and the fact that the red leg and foot are so visible under the water. Plus a pretty good look at the face. Friggin' amazing by me. Also, the color looks fine here. But then you gotta ask yourself, "What the heck does he know anyway?"

a

Daniel Cadieux
07-12-2016, 06:36 PM
That is one of the more refreshing looking splashes I've seen in a while - perhaps its the warm weather were experiencing that is getting to me...no, it's really the image that works on its own merits. Fantastic action, and I'll repeat the point about the red foot. Pretty neat. If anything I'd take a look to see if there is a pupil showing that you could darken in the eye....but everything else is top notch.

Simon d'Entremont
07-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Lorant, I do think that your crop suggestion could work. I wasn't sure that I'd gotten the crop right and your option would work I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kirk Benson
07-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Really cool image, the "frozen" water makes the belly flop splashdown so perfect. Love the near wing position, visible leg and foot, and the head sticking out front is awesome. I like your composition, but could definitely see the suggested pano crop working well too. Excellent work Simon.

Kirk