PDA

View Full Version : Ringed Seal

Steve Kaluski
07-09-2016, 04:29 AM
As you drift along the shoreline in a zodiac scouting for Polar bears, invariably you will have an encounter with the local seals, inquisitive of both noise of the outboard motor and black shape, popping up to take a look.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Ringed seal (Pusa hispida)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 with Ext HH from zodiac
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO640 EV +0.67
Original format: Landscape, slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2015.5

Rachel Hollander
07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Hi Steve - Surprisingly we didn't see many seals on my trip to Svalbard. This has a tranquility to it and I like the tones. I think it needs a bit of ccw rotation. It looks like the water is sloping left to right slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2016, 03:50 PM
The muted colours are beautiful and the details on the seal are absolutely superb.

keith mitchell
07-12-2016, 02:28 AM
Nice detail on the Seal Steve especially the wet whiskers,all looks really calm and relaxed,do like the still water.

Keith.

haseeb badar
07-12-2016, 03:46 AM
Hi Steve -- Nice simple image . Good details and quality as usual and i loved the way it is piping out of the water .

TFS !

Joseph Przybyla
07-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Hi Steve, lovely image. I like the greys of the seal complimented by the pastels of the water. My first impression on looking at the image was a slight counter clockwise rotation, may be wrong but that was the first thought. Thank you for sharing.

P.S. After reading the comments Rachel mentioned that also.

Andreas Liedmann
07-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Hi Steve a yet simple but very effective image .
Love the overall technical quality ... top notch .. Mr Detail .
Stunning IQ , tonal range and colors spot on , brilliant work !!!!
I am still surprised how to get the low POV from a Zodiac .

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2016, 11:04 AM
I am still surprised how to get the low POV from a Zodiac .

You have to have faith in your skipper, it's not 'rocket science' Andreas, but if folks try it and the kit gets wet, or partially submerged, or even dropped :Whoa!: :Whoa!: :Whoa!: would I get the blame??? :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
07-17-2016, 11:20 AM
No up to the photog .... not to drop the kit :wave:

D. Robert Franz
07-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Love the perspective and lighting on this seal that you don't see many images of... Well done Steve!

Gabriela Plesea
08-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Dear Steve,

Lovely frame, the subject stands out beautifully and it feels like one could reach out and touch him.

Superb reflection and colours, as well as tonality, great detail as always. I especially like the way the light falls on the Seal's face.

Warmest regards,