PDA

View Full Version : Garden Impression #2

Adhika Lie
07-08-2016, 08:07 PM
A few months ago I posted a picture of an impression of the Descanso Garden in Los Angeles (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/134584-Garden-Impression). I had the fortune to make a short visit to Portland last weekend and I stopped by the Lan Su Chinese Garden before gorging myself with a wonderful chicken & rice lunch at one of Portland's finest food truck. I was intrigued to make another attempt with that concept and I hope I can get some feedback on this one as well. Shooting specs: 90mm (Tamron macro lens), 1/640, f/8, ISO800, 1/640 secs.

Processed in LR, increased exposure and contrast, highlights all the way down, lift up the shadows, whites and blacks to give back some contrast. Also did some vertical perspective and rotation adjustments on LR. Cropped from the top for composition. I feel like the bottom is cut a little way too abruptly, but I will have to include the actual building to do that. I have another shot from a different angle that show that better (not processed yet).

As always, C&C are always appreciated!

Adhika Lie
07-08-2016, 09:07 PM
After posting this, I immediately think of square crop.

Dennis Bishop
07-09-2016, 11:24 AM
It took me quite a while to realize that this is likely a shot of reflections on a pond. That I didn't understand that at first -- or even if I'd never understood it -- is fine as long as the image could be interpreted in some way. What I now think are possibly features under the water left me puzzled but not intrigued. I like what you did in processing. But for me, at least, I think either of two things that tell it is a reflection would've helped: Something(s) sticking out of the water or floating on it, or a shot with water movement that distorted the reflections at least minimally and with probably no view of the features under the surface. (I realize neither might've been feasible under the conditions when you were there.)

Your idea about the square crop was a good one.

Anita Bower
07-09-2016, 04:32 PM
I think the square crop works best.
I find the reflections of the architectural curve, the trees and the sky with clouds interesting. I wish the dark green color was different or brighter or something.
What are the white blotchy areas that go across the center horizontally, are in the lower left side of the image and along the bottom? I find them a bit confusing.

Cheryl Slechta
07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi, Adhika,
This is a very interesting image. I like the square crop and the repeating curves in the water. I like the fact that I don't really know what it is because the sky and upper trees are so sharp. I would remove that small whitish/tan rectangle on the lower left edge. I'd like to see the second one with the building so I can put it into context - but I like having things out of context - kind of a suspension of reality.:S3:

Adhika Lie
07-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I have a couple other shots from this place and if you are so kind, I would like to get your feedback on my interpretation of the scene. I am trying to hone the artistic side of my photography art and I am looking forward to learn from your C&Cs.

Dennis, I'd like to this image as a "triple exposure" where you have the building, the tree, and the rocks at the pond layered on the pond as a canvas. Anita made a really good point with the rocks being too strong. I have posted another image (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/136219-Garden-Impression-3) that might take all of your suggestions into play except Cheryl's. I will showcase that one next :)