View Full Version : Over and Under

William Dickson
07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm
f/5.6
1/2500
ISO 640

I had another trip to the Isle of May yesterday, where I spent the whole time photographing Arctic Terns. At least I got some decent light this time.

Will

Bob Smith
07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
A beauty Will. You've got a full fan spread of all 4 wings and both tails, the head cupped in the wings on the top bird, and each bird's attention clearly focused on the other. When I'm out shooting flocks I'm always looking for pairings or nice tight small groups and this one epitomizes that goal. And it is all perfectly in focus and beautifully exposed with a lovely complementary BG. A WOW image.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/adece27f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

keith mitchell
07-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Will don't think I can add to Bob's comment it covers all my thoughts,well done.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
07-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Decent light eh - decent shot too! Well done Will I would have been delighted with a shot like this, great poses and exposure.

David Salem
07-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Thank goodness you got some decent light! Something that goes along with good light and birds in flight is shadows:e3 Now you throw another stick into your wheels. I have thrown away thousands of decent tern images due to shadows. Not that it's a big problem for this image but just showing you, as you well know, how hard it actually is to have everything line up right. Besides a few shadows the upper bird looks awesome and I really like the wing position, open beak and the catch in the eye. Keep working, your'e getting better and better.

christopher galeski
07-09-2016, 01:30 AM
Nice action Will,like the BG with the blue mixing with whites,some nice detail in the birds.TFS.

Steve Kaluski
07-09-2016, 04:35 AM
Hi Will, I can only echo Davids thoughts and comments, this looks better compared to the last posting.

TFS
Steve

Graham Wilkes
07-09-2016, 04:36 AM
Wonderful image Will, like the interaction between the pair, especially wing positions and spot on exposure.
Another to be framed and hung on a wall.

Graham

Arthur Morris
07-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Bill,

Ditto Mr. Salem... Give me cloudy-bright for terns any time and live without the harsh shadows and exposure problems evident in this image...

In short, this one does not work for me at all.

a

arash_hazeghi
07-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I like the interaction but I also find the shadows very distracting

Diane Miller
07-09-2016, 03:50 PM
My first reaction was Wonderful! And it still is. I love the interaction, poses, having both in focus, and the gorgeous range of whites, echoed by those in the sky.

This image tells a natural story that I can enjoy immensely. It isn't in the same category for me that dark high-contrast shadows on many subjects would be.

Bob Smith
07-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Bill,

Ditto Mr. Salem... Give me cloudy-bright for terns any time and live without the harsh shadows and exposure problems evident in this image...

In short, this one does not work for me at all.

a
Are you of the same view for snow geese Arthur?<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Arthur Morris
07-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Are you of the same view for snow geese Arthur?<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I love cloudy days for Snow Goose flight photography but clouds are rare in the places that I usually photograph them. On sunny days I try to work early in the mornings and hope for south or east winds so that the birds are flying toward me and toward the light.

a

Bob Smith
07-10-2016, 01:30 PM
I love cloudy days for Snow Goose flight photography but clouds are rare in the places that I usually photograph them. On sunny days I try to work early in the mornings and hope for south or east winds so that the birds are flying toward me and toward the light.

a
You should visit the Fraser R. delta---lots of snow geese in cloudy weather here.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Arthur Morris
07-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks. Are they close enough to do single birds in flight? What months?

a

Bob Smith
07-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Yes to Q.1 although that raises a good Q. that I wish was published more often with posts on this site and that is " how close is close enough.". I know the answer depends on the lens but it would be a nice piece of info to have. The best time is 1st nine days of October when they 1 st arrive but hunting season hasn't opened yet and then again last 1/2 of March through 1st couple of weeks April before they fly north. They are here 'til late Nov./mid Dec. and then most of them head down to the Skagit R. delta in WA, returning in mid-March . And of course there are lots of other birds coming and going and wintering over as well.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Arthur Morris
07-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks. I should have asked, close enough to photograph individual geese 2/3 frame with a 600 and a full frame body ?

a

Bob Smith
07-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Even though I have never looked through a 600 I would say "Absolutely". Obviously there are a lot of variables that go into getting into a good shoot on any given day but opportunities vary from 15 yds. and beyond and range from a few shots to filling a chip or more (32GB).<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

William Dickson
07-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments, especially about the shadows. Much appreciated and learning all the time

Will

Bob Smith
07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
I owe you an apology Will, for accidentally hijacking your thread of a wonderful image. As to the shadows my view is that they are an integral part of the manipulation and display of light and often, as for me here in your image, play a key role in it's perception. Here one tern is enveloped in the shadow it's own wings while at the same time casting it's own shadow across the body of it's antagonist as they swirl around each other, adding much to the dynamics of the shot and our perception of the movement and the clarity of the light on the unshaded portions.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/96143ae7/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

William Dickson
07-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Thats ok Bob about the hijack :S3: And, thanks a lot for the comments and looking at my images

Much appreciated, Will