Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash On
Flash Type External Flash : E-TTL flash metering
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -1 1/3

The bees love these thistles, image taken in the back garden

John Robinson
07-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Nice Carder bee Jon apart from the rear wiung a bit out, but for me the colour and size of the thistle. seems to overpower everything else.
JohnR

Diane Miller
07-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Same thought on the thistle, but the bee is wonderful! I wonder about toning down the reds (don't know your thistles but ours are a more subdued pink) or cropping out maybe half of the thistle. I'd go vertical in that case and remove some of the negative space on the left as well.

Steve Kaluski
07-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Hi Jon, if you have it then a tad more on the RHS to balance the comp, I also like the juxtapose of scale here, it illustrates the size of objects in view. If you drop the Saturation I doubt you will achieve much other than decreasing the intensity, just depends on what you want to achieve in making any adjustments. I'm guessing you can get more '*clarity' within the stems, but still retaining the nice vibrancy.

Jon, I might suggest you try more 'native' ISO when doing this rather than in between ISO's, here I would have gone to 800.

Good luck with the monitor. :w3

TFS
Steve

* Note - not using Clarity, this is just a term, not a reference to an adjustment.

Jonathan Ashton
07-12-2016, 04:04 AM
Thanks very much for your constructive comments everyone - much appreciated.
When I took the image recall how vivid the colours were but as you point out probably not quite so vivid as I originally conveyed. When I presented the image I think on reflection I was trying to be as minimalist as possible in regard to changing what was captured and the fact that my capture was a little OTT had not fully registered!
Here is a repost which I think is pretty close to reality on the day. I think the recrop improves presentation.
The thistle is a decorative sort - not the typical wild thistle we see in fields so the colour is more magenta than might be imagined. I have to tell you it several conversions to get this, I tried repeatedly in DPP and ACR before deciding on this one.
I appreciate your comments relating to the bee being overpowered by the flower head but that was partly the purpose of making the post, i.e. this is a small carder bee not a larger bumble bee.

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2016, 05:54 AM
Here is a repost which I think is pretty close to reality on the day.

Hi Jon, my question is - do YOU now like/prefer the RP and therefore it's a 'positive' move forward?

My only thought now was, based on the RP:
- To bring the green to meet the stem, and loose the brown buff area lower RHC???
- Somewhere between the two for the actual 'sphere' of the base of the flower to bring back some 'tonal' depth/form??
- Somewhere between the two for the 'ochre' colour of the Carder??

Jonathan Ashton
07-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Hi Jon, my question is - do YOU now like/prefer the RP and therefore it's a 'positive' move forward?

My only thought now was, based on the RP:
- To bring the green to meet the stem, and loose the brown buff area lower RHC???
- Somewhere between the two for the actual 'sphere' of the base of the flower to bring back some 'tonal' depth/form??
- Somewhere between the two for the 'ochre' colour of the Carder??

Steve I already did some blending on the RHS towards the bottom corner, quite happy with it - seems natural to me. Content with the colours as is.

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2016, 07:05 AM
quite happy with it - seems natural to me. Content with the colours as is.

Great, if questions are not asked then sometimes you are just left thinking 'What if?' :cheers: