PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Ascent

Adhika Lie
07-07-2016, 01:43 AM
In the past, I have experimented with the idea of doing a pars pro toto (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pars_pro_toto) with pictures before (e.g., with the Grand Canyon (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Arizona/G0000_wOal.3uErg/I0000wjYoj3F7PGM/C0000gqcpVYdUaos), the Mat-Su Valley (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Alaska/G0000.xelXWdzZRc/I0000L7O4e6uQSOk/C0000gqcpVYdUaos), and even Pelican (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Pelicans/G000060YkrlrJenE/I0000309N1UBycII/C0000lYDNuXo7nB0)) and like many art forms, I've got the feeling that it might not be for everyone. I just came back from Seattle for a trip with my parents this past 4th of July weekend and I experimented none other than the iconic Mt. Rainier. There are some classic views that I would like to get but the mountain was cloud covered the two days I was there. So, I decided that I would try something different. This was taken from the trail to the Glacier Vista which was proven to be a lot more demanding to my parents in their age especially with snow still on the ground.

I tried telling the cloud to go to the place where I want it to be but it didn't listen but I thought this shot is kinda interesting. 130mm, f/8, ISO 100, 1/1000. As always, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback and constructive C&Cs.

John Hackney
07-07-2016, 10:36 AM
That would be lovely without the cloud so I understand you trying to talk it into moving. I know I would have tried.

I am wondering if a black and white conversion might work? Or maybe giving it a more dark look.

Adhika Lie
07-07-2016, 11:30 AM
That would be lovely without the cloud so I understand you trying to talk it into moving. I know I would have tried.

I am wondering if a black and white conversion might work? Or maybe giving it a more dark look.

Hi John, this one has actually been converted to B&W. There is very little color already in the scene except for some blue cast on the shadows area. When I processed this, I immediately think of high key, but your suggestion of giving it a darker look might also work. I will take a look at that tonight.

Rachel Hollander
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi Adhika - I've looked at this a few times now so it is making me think. Unfortunately though my reaction is still the same as when I first saw, it's not really working for me because there's nothing drawing me in. The cloud is a bit too thick and obscuring too much of the frame. I too wish it had blown through more for you. Sorry :eek3:.

TFS,
Rachel

Adhika Lie
07-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Hi Adhika - I've looked at this a few times now so it is making me think. Unfortunately though my reaction is still the same as when I first saw, it's not really working for me because there's nothing drawing me in. The cloud is a bit too thick and obscuring too much of the frame. I too wish it had blown through more for you. Sorry :eek3:.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi Rachel, agreed on all accounts. This is really an attempt to create a lemonade. I just don't have much luck with Mt Rainier this time. Maybe next! :bg3:

Thanks for stopping by!

Don Railton
07-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Hi Adhika

As an ex mountain climber from NZ this is appealing, although possibily for sentimental reasons. The cloud is ever present in the environment I climbed in so it it's presence in this image is expected in my mind and it doesnt bother me. I do agree however that the image is lacking a good lead and I also would like to see a peak so I think a vertical format would possibly work better for me.. I like where you are going however, (in both counts...)

DON

Adhika Lie
07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Hi Adhika

As an ex mountain climber from NZ this is appealing, although possibily for sentimental reasons. The cloud is ever present in the environment I climbed in so it it's presence in this image is expected in my mind and it doesnt bother me. I do agree however that the image is lacking a good lead and I also would like to see a peak so I think a vertical format would possibly work better for me.. I like where you are going however, (in both counts...)

DON

Hi Don, thanks for stopping by! I would have never thought that you were a climber. That definitely gives you some perspective about this environment because I was just frustrated with the cloud. The top was still obscured when I caught this and this break only lasted for 2 minutes before more clouds came back. I didn't even have time to set up tripod.

From your experience, is there a good indications for cloud break in the mountain? It seems like the cloud is pretty low that I think if we get high enough we would be above the cloud. Also the cloud only formed around the base of the mountain. 40 miles out and you have a clear sky. As if the mountain is creating its own weather.

Arthur Morris
07-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Hey, Count me as the odd man out. I sort of like it as is for the atmospheric perspective. But what the heck do I know?

a

Diane Miller
07-09-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm just having time to cruise though here with no time to reply to anything but have to take a minute to say that I love this! The swirl of lines leading to the white-out in the LL works really well, and the hint of detail in the clouds is just enough. My only suggestion is that I wish the darker area in the UL had more room, especially on the left and maybe a little on top.

Mountains can definitely make their own weather.

Don Railton
07-10-2016, 04:24 AM
Hi Adhika.

As Diane points out, mountains definitely make their own weather. Warm air at low level is always mixed with some percentage of water vapour (which is a gas..). This warm air cools as it rises to pass over mountains (because it expands..) and that can causes the water vapor gas to precipitate to a liquid (clouds, fog or rain) and if its cool enough it will go the next step to a solid (Snow, hail, ice etc..). So clouds forming on mountains is very dependent of condition that are not visible (you cannot see water vapour) and so they could be expected at any time, or altitude... My advice when climbing is always dress as if it could snow/freeze and tell someone where you are going or take a guide. you are too good a photog to loose...

DON

Glennie Passier
07-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Firstly Adhika; ditto DONs advice. You are too good a photographer to lose on a mountain. Take care!

Secondly, the more I look at this image, the more I see and really like what I see. I love the RHS of the image with all ridges and nooks and crannies. The LL side just melts away into nothingness. So delicately handled.

You have indeed made lemonade!

Adhika Lie
07-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Don, thanks for the information. I don't have the hours that Diane & her husband have logged, but as a recreational pilot, weather fascinates me. One of these days I need to read up about mountain flying and probably pick up some more knowledge on mountain weather. You have given me a very good advice there. I will always keep that in mind.

Art, Diane, & Glennie, thanks so much for the kind words. My relationship with this picture is probably best describe as the love-hate kind. I see what Diane is suggesting there and I quickly checked the file. Unfortunately, there is no more room on that corner. You know, a friend told me over lunch yesterday that if this photo has a bear walking down the slope, I would not need to go to Mt Rainier ever again. I think he has a valid point. I still want to go back. How can I not heed the mountain call?

Andrew McLachlan
07-10-2016, 07:06 PM
Hi Adhika...for my tastes the left side of the frame is a tad too bright due to the clouds but I do think if you went with a darker image it would work quite nicely!

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2016, 01:50 AM
I am on the fence here.
I would perhaps add more contrast to the midtones and darks to tease out more mountain details behind the clouds?
Like Rachel it's not really drawing me in on immediate viewing, but I think it has potential and it made me look a bit longer than usual.