Av(Aperture Value) 11
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1 1/3
ISO Speed 100
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Focal Length 180.0mm
Flash Off

This young dragonfly was situated at the side of my pond. It was in such a good position I actually missed it, I have to thank my wife for spotting it. This was when I had about twenty emerge over two days, apparently stormy weather often results in these eruptions.
I was tempted to snip off the leaf on the left but it was there and I think logically one would expect to see one there in this plant.... but I do wish it wasn't just behind the wing!

Diane Miller
07-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I love the amazing subject, great perch and sharp focus combined with the soft light and colors. The water droplets on the leaf make it a keeper.

I don't have many occasions to shoot dragonflies but got frustrated that there is so often a stray piece of plant in the wrong place, so I got a thin 6 ft dowel bar and screwed a hook into the end. I can sometimes reach a piece of plant and move it -- usually best done in the interval when a dragonfly goes off to feed and then comes back to a favored perch.

You've been getting great IQ with the 5D2 -- just curious how you feel it compares to your 1DX? (And hoping it hasn't met an unfortunate end...)

Steve Kaluski
07-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Hi Jon, cracking detail and I really like the comp. I just wonder if it needs a hint more below and the leaf/green bit creeping in on the stem at the foot, I might clone to the red of the stem?

The garden is producing some excellent environments & shooting opportunities.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2016, 03:11 AM
Thanks Diane no the 1DX is fine, I bought the 5DII off my pal - he got the 5DIII, I got it as a back up camera for when I got to Yellowstone, I thought it would be fine for landscapes and macro and would also prevent a lot of lens changing. In a strange sort of way I really like it because it is comparatively light and it really makes me appreciate just how good the 1DX is in terms of responsiveness. I find the 5DII fine but more noisy than the 1DX, I haven't gone beyond ISO 1600 with it yet. It does not focus anywhere nearly as quickly or accurately as the 1DX but in the limited circumstances I have planned for it I am very please and for £465 I am delighted.

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2016, 03:14 AM
Hi Jon, cracking detail and I really like the comp. I just wonder if it needs a hint more below and the leaf/green bit creeping in on the stem at the foot, I might clone to the red of the stem?

The garden is producing some excellent environments & shooting opportunities.

TFS
Steve

Yes, thanks Steve I noticed that, I am trying to leave things as near to reality as I can, I appreciate the critique becasue it will help me gauge which images I may/may not put into competitions

Steve Maxson
07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Excellent in all respects, Jon! Soft light, overall sharpness, comp, background, interesting subject, - and the shiny new wings put it over the top!