PDA

View Full Version : probably not destined for the Guggenheim

Dennis Bishop
07-04-2016, 09:51 PM
At the time he was photographed doing this, the artist was a few months short of six years old. (He is left-handed; I didn't flip it for composition.) I was taken with what seems to be an innate sense of color harmony.

iPhone 5s, ISO 100, 1/30 second

processing highlights

Camera Raw Filter
Alien Skin Snap Art -- Pencil Sketch - Vignette (unaltered black & white preset), Linear Dodge (Add) blend mode, reduced opacity
Topaz Simplify -- saved watercolor preset, masked off drawing
Snap Art -- saved watercolor wash preset, Hard Light
Flypaper Textures -- four textures for color and some texture, various blend modes; masked off arm, hand, marker, and colored parts of drawing
Topaz Glow -- three saved black-on-white presets; Multiply, Divide, Multiply
Snap Art and Simplify -- saved black-on-white edges presets, Multiply
Alien Skin Exposure -- white vignette
additional white vignetted regions using a soft brush and Gaussian blur

Hazel Grant
07-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Guggenheim? You never know. There is a flair for movement of lines and bold color there. Photo is nice because I can see the work, sense the slight movement of the marker which says it's still a work in progress. Great memory for you. By the way, I have a wall in my home with one of these 5-6 year old works from each grandchild.

Dennis Bishop
07-05-2016, 11:22 AM
. . . Photo is nice because I can see the work, sense the slight movement of the marker which says it's still a work in progress. . . .

I think the motion effect might've been enhanced by the pencil sketch layer. That was something I'd neither anticipated nor noticed. Good interpretation on your part. It really changes the way I see this.

Cheryl Slechta
07-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Hi, Dennis, I like Hazel's interpretation of the pencil marks also and I really like the image. I think he's got a great sense of color and design - who knows - maybe he will be in the Guggenheim someday!:S3: