PDA

View Full Version : The Simplicity of Serendipity

John Hackney
07-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Captured from last night's show.

Canon 7DII, EF-s 17-55 f/2.8, 6s, f/16, ISO 100, 40mm. Removed a couple of hot pixels and increased saturation.

The fireworks are fired off so quickly in this show that I almost never get a satisfactory image due to timing. I keep experimenting each year and have yet to find the right formula.

Adhika Lie
07-04-2016, 10:12 AM
There is something special about the fireworks on this one. Very well timed. I just wish to see more of the building I suppose. As presented it looks clipped.

John Hackney
07-04-2016, 12:14 PM
There is something special about the fireworks on this one. Very well timed. I just wish to see more of the building I suppose. As presented it looks clipped.

Thank you. I was trying to keep the street light out of the shot so the bottom of the shot is how I framed it. You can see the light's effect in the Nugget sign.

Adhika Lie
07-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Usually double exposure is the way to avoid blowing out the street lights. Did you experiment with vertical composition?

John Hackney
07-04-2016, 12:35 PM
I did not. I need to buy a "L" bracket for the camera. I definitely thought of it and wished I had one.

I scoped out a spot that is more open just a tougher spot for leveling the camera. I think I will give it a try next year. I will definitely have a "L" bracket then too.

Don Railton
07-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Hi John

My technique for fireworks is to frame the shot before hand (and avoiding street lights, signs etc like you did) before the show starts. Once the show starts I look through the viewfinder and start counting off the seconds as soon as i hear the "Boom", and stop counting when that firework just launched is past its best. The seconds counted is the shutter time i set, often about 15 sec.... After that its just a matter of setting the f stop and ISO to get exposure and noise compromise you are happy with.. This is V nice, but i would remove that random heading off to the LHS..

DON

John Hackney
07-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks Don for the suggestion.

Hazel Grant
07-06-2016, 07:48 AM
I've found that using the bulb setting allows me control since different fireworks have different times.

John Hackney
07-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Thank you Hazel

Rachel Hollander
07-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Hi John - Nice colors against the pitch black sky. You've received good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
07-09-2016, 02:27 PM
But for the bottom of the frame, I love it.

a

Andrew McLachlan
07-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Hi John...love the way the fireworks look like some sort of ornate, neon grasses...I too do not favor the buildings along the bottom edge.

John Hackney
07-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Hi John - Nice colors against the pitch black sky. You've received good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Thank you, I agree.

John Hackney
07-10-2016, 11:33 PM
But for the bottom of the frame, I love it.

a

Thanks Artie.

I would love to know what you would do with the bottom of the frame. I have considered cloning the buildings out.

John Hackney
07-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Hi John...love the way the fireworks look like some sort of ornate, neon grasses...I too do not favor the buildings along the bottom edge.

Thank you Andrew. I would love to hear your thoughts on dealing with the bottom.

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2016, 01:53 AM
another vote here that loves the firework "bloom", but wishes there was more at the bottom :)

John Hackney
07-16-2016, 07:53 PM
another vote here that loves the firework "bloom", but wishes there was more at the bottom :)

Thanks Morkel. Next time's goal is a much larger anchor for the fireworks. Hopefully we will have them next year at this same location.