PDA

View Full Version : Composition #2 - Guggenheim, NYC

Cheryl Slechta
07-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Another one in my "composition" series. The architecture at the Guggenheim in Bilbao and NYC both lend themselves to pleasing compositions. I have a friend who wanted me to clone out the wires supporting the cubes to make it even more abstract but I opted to leave them in:S3:

Dennis Bishop
07-03-2016, 06:37 PM
These images are such an interesting mix -- light and dark; broad sweeping shapes and small well-defined ones. The way the light oranges change in this one is a treat.

I believed you made the right choice with the wires but tried it without them. You were right. If the image were cropped from the top and sides so the suspended shapes played a larger role, it might be fun in an Escherisque way to have them floating, but I'm not convinced.

Cheryl Slechta
07-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Dennis. I think you're right - the key would be a big crop from the top and a crop from the left (or both sides). I didn't want to lose the triangle in the lower left corner or the squares (shadows) on the right side. I'll try it anyway just to see what it looks like:S3:

Dennis Bishop
07-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Oh, I think it's definitely a better image the way it is. I just played with that because of the wires comment.

Hazel Grant
07-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Not sure about the wires. I can see it both ways but it would take some very careful work and I'm not sure it would come out ok. At any rate, I think it's cool that you have a headless person in a space with heads floating on wires....

Wendy Kates
07-04-2016, 10:31 AM
I really like this composition, with its curves and angles, and I'm fine with the wires. I'm not sure about the headless person though. Although interesting, the stark blackness, and the absence of a head, keep my eyes focusing on that aspect of the figure to the extent that I don't focus on the other aspects of it. So for me, it is somewhat distracting.

Adhika Lie
07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
This one has very nice warm tone to it which I feel make a very contrasting image compared to the #1. I like that triangle on the LL corner but I agree with Wendy about the headless person.

Hazel Grant
07-04-2016, 04:11 PM
It bothered me too until I noticed the heads in suspension on the wires....at the G museum this just seems appropriate.

Cheryl Slechta
07-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone for commenting. I'm with Hazel - I'm pretty sure that could be his head in the cube :) I view this more as a thought provoking, rather sinister image with the headless, enigmatic dark rigid form standing there amidst the curves and the warm, soft colors. And facing out of the frame and at the top of the image. I think the curves and the blocks lead your eye through the frame even if they rest on the figure. Anyway, that was my thought process:S3:

Wendy Kates
07-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Cheryl...your thought process and explanation definitely helps me appreciate the headless figure much more than I did originally...thanks!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
07-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Cheryl,

Greetings. I am really liking this series and this one is outstanding. Both the headless figure and the wires are to my eye perfect. If anything I would think about adding a touch of contrast the to the lines of the floor tiles in the bottom left second floor (to recapitulate the wires as the first floor tiles do). I particularly like the line from the 1st floor tile that joins the wall between the floors that joins to the display edge. the more I look at it the less I'm able to figure out the 3-dimensional relationships. Very cool. Thanks for posting. Good show!

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
07-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Hi, Michael, I just posted another dimension of this image. Thanks for your comments:S3:

gary ellwein
07-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Cheryl, I love the concept of the headless figure and the floating heads.