PDA

View Full Version : "Fogbow" at Grand Prismatic

Paul Kammen
07-03-2016, 10:07 AM
I took this last week at about 6 a.m. in the Grand Prismatic Spring area at YNP - thinking of entering it into a state fair contest, just looking for any feedback. OK as is, or better in mono?

Thanks,
Paul

dankearl
07-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Remove the noise and it is a pretty cool photo....
I like color.

Andrew McLachlan
07-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Hi Paul, ditto Dan's suggestion to remove the noise...foreground detail acts as nice leading lines drawing us into the scene. Please do remember to take a few moments to comment on other posts in the Landscape Forum...looking forward to more of your landscapes :)

Paul Kammen
07-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Thank you - I did remove the noise and also ran one in mono. Hard to say which is better. 163494

Don Railton
07-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Noise is the issue with me also.. I think I would prefer cthe colour version.

DON

Jerry van Dijk
07-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Amazing image, almost hard to believe that this is just a natural phenomenon. I'd definitely go for the color version. All those different shades of brown are great and add a lot of interest to the image. The color also contributes to the otherworldly atmosphere.
I haven't checked, but I have the feeling that the image is slightly sloping to the left, or suffers from barrel distortion. Maybe a minor point to improve in PP.

Adhika Lie
07-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Agreed on going with the color and feeling that it needs a slight CW rotation. I wish I could've seen this while I was there.

Rachel Hollander
07-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi Paul - Interesting to see all the browns and none of the bright oranges and blues that Grand Prismatic is really known for. Yes on color version, rotation and reducing the noise.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2016, 02:33 PM
You've already received some great feedback here.
I love it - in colour and in mono, but colour takes the edge here for the array of browns and depth it exudes.
Agree on suggestions made above re noise and rotation...hope to see you contribute your own critique on more of the other landscape images posted here :5

Arthur Morris
07-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I like it a lot, the color version best. But there is too much detail for me in the near foreground so I executed a crop for my repost so that the image is more 1/3: 2/3. Noise reduction by NeatImage. Learn more about NI at the bottom of the blog post here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/07/09/in-gannet-sanity-isolation-problems/#comment-1736364). Scroll down to the section on The Professional Photographers’ Guide to Post-Processing by Arash Hazaghi with Arthur Morris (http://birdsasart-shop.com/the-professional-post-processing-guide/).

Don Lacy
07-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Hi Paul, I am really late to the party here but I love this image and I thought it could use just a bit more processing to separate some of the tonal values I also ran a sharpening technique on it that has a unique look. Again this is were I would have taken the image if i had been luck enough to capture it. The IQ took a hit due to the fact I was working on a 8 bit Jpeg that would had happen if I started from the Raw