PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel, advice sought

Jim Poor
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" width="450"><tbody><tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">02-Sep-2006 16:43:30</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Make</td><td class="lid">Nikon</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">NIKON D2X</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">600 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/80 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/8</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">ISO Equivalent</td><td class="lid">100</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Bias</td><td class="lid">+1</td></tr></tbody></table>

After the remnants of hurricane Ernesto came through, this squirrel was busy rebuilding her nest. Since she traced the same path back and forth several times, stopping in almost the same exact places each time, I managed to set up in some of them. With the clouds, the light was really nice.

My problem is the oof limb in front of her. Personally, I like it, but I think many others may not. If I crop the log out, there is even less room for the "virtual feet" of the squirrel.

Also, the almost negative space on the right is not there for movement, but rather, because I didn't want the grass to exit the frame.

I'm looking at this as one of the first 20 images on my website, but I have another of her that is even better. There will probably be 4 squirrel images in the group.

Since I'm comparing the two, the link to the other one is here:

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/66179655

D. Robert Franz
01-08-2008, 11:56 AM
For web viewing purposes I think I would crop just below the feet. The log is a bit much for me.. I would also like a bit more room above the squirrel. I really like the pose and the mouthful of grass. I also looked at the other image and like it alot. A suggestion, for my website I always to show uncropped images. If an editor decides to use for an image on the basis of the cropped view and it won't hold up for larger uses it makes you look bad.

Jim Poor
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Robert. I have been going back and forth on the cropped non-cropped issue for the site.

On one hand, I'd like to put the images forth in their best light, which might involve some cropping. On the other, I certainly get your point about the size not holding up.

I guess the real challenge to myself is probably to get more full frame shots ;)

Here is the original of the shot above.

Jasper Doest
01-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Hi Jim, Too funny! However, the highlights look a bit blown out, and it's a pity that you have a wooden bar in front of the legs .There is probably nothing much you could have done about that. One question, why not use ISO200 or 400, instead of using 1/80 at ISO100like you did?

Ivan Miksik
01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
It's funny and nice image! A wooden bar in front of the legs is not great, but still it is working!

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow Jim, what a contrast from the original - I just love the treatment you have given this image which is now in an almost square format. The colour rendition is exquisite and the comical looking subject with a mouth full is sharp as a tack. If I had a choice I would prefer not to have the log at the bottom of frame but it doesn't worry me unduly. Lovely image!!

Jim Poor
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone. For some reason I didn't get any notice of replies here until just now.

As for the log, I'm actually considering a tighter crop just above the "knees," like a waste up portrait.

Jasper. Low ISO is something that I got from first learning to shoot in Australia with the slowest film I could get. I got the notion that lower = better. While true in many senses, there comes a time when it is good to move up the ISO a bit. I'm trying to force myself to do that more now that I have a D3 and D300.