PDA

View Full Version : The Galactic Core

Diane Miller
07-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Canon 1DX Mk II, ISO 1600, f/6.3, 2 minute exposures (30) tracked with an Astrotrac. Shot at 38mm and cropped to about 50mm equivalent as star shapes in the corners are funky with this lens. Stopping down helped a little with some of the lens aberrations.

This is just a study – the skies were pretty good last night at a nearby dark sky site, but at our latitude the galactic core region of the Milky Way (the most interesting part) is fairly low on the horizon, putting a lot of air and light pollution in the path. And my only option for the needed focal length for this shot is far from ideal for stars – the old classic 24-70 f/2.8. I’ll rent a Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 if I can get to a good sky next new moon. Hoping for Joshua Tree NP.

This is just a stack of 10 images to average out noise – I have 30 and will try the larger stack later today. It will tax the computer. But this one came out better than expected. If I want to tax myself, I’ll try processing with PixInsight. It makes LR + PS look like preschool.

The Milky Way is the view we have of our galaxy’s more distant stars from near an edge of the saucer-shaped mass. The orange star near the center right is Antares and above it at its 11:00 position is Saturn. The dark areas are clouds of dust.

Do you realize that almost every atom in your body was created in an early-generation star, and dispersed into space when it died? The exception is hydrogen, which was created at the birth of the universe.

Anyone who is fascinated by the beauty and mystery of the night sky should check out the writings of Timothy Ferris: http://www.timothyferris.com/

Don Lacy
07-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Beautiful image Diane I find the night sky fascinating and your comp works well for me.
[QUOTEDo you realize that almost every atom in your body was created in an early-generation star,[/QUOTE]
I like to tell my son he is made form star dust.

Adhika Lie
07-03-2016, 12:30 AM
This is beautiful, Diane! I am not patient enough with astrophotography but star shots fascinates me. Especially when you have something with clear definition like this. I am not familiar with Antares, but I will definitely look it up. I tried an astro shot at Silver Lake at Mammoth on memorial day weekend and they were really low on the horizon even at 11 PM and I was trying to get a sunrise shot the next morning. Sleep won. Thanks for sharing, Diane!

Rachel Hollander
07-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Hi Diane - this works very well. It does make one feel miniscule. Thanks for the additional info about the pp program.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
07-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Hi Diane...this is one of the best night sky images I think I have ever seen...stunning, killer color, and those two tiny star bursts knocked my socks off :)

Diane Miller
07-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

Andrew, I was surprised by the starbursts. Odd thing is, that lens with "normal" starbursts (i.e. a thin slice of the sun through a tree) is just plain ugly. Guess a true pinpoint is better. I've read that all stars, bright to dim, are equally small pinpoints. The ones that look bigger are just blown out.

I'm hoping for clear high altitude non-light-polluted skies SOMEWHERE within 1000 miles or so next new moon to try the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 for much better resolution. If you want to test a lens, try shooting stars. If you want to test your patience and intelligence, try processing the shots.

Don Railton
07-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Wonderful Image Diane!... and yes, those star bursts make it ... I have to report unfortunately the star dust in my body seems to have got a head start over some of my colleges..

DON

Warren Spreng
07-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Just saw this Diane, beautiful! Nice processing with the stars as pinpoints and nice colors in them. You have picked up quite a few nebula and clusters in this FOV as well! If you figure out PixInsight you can teach me, I have tried using that program 4 times after reading or watching some tutorials and it still eludes me to use it to get an image I can do in PS. I guess I just like having control over each and every step in processing rather than having a program that makes huge changes with minor adjustments! But I know it's a great program because many of the AP folks I know use it almost exclusively for their deep sky shots! (many still use PS for finishing touch's though!)

John Hackney
07-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Absolutely wonderful photo Diane. Great write up on getting the photo.

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Incredible depth and detail and context here, Diane!!

Diane Miller
07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone!

Warren, if I ever make peace with PixInsight you'll hear the shouts of joy. If I can get this shot with an excellent lens I'll probably press on with it. It's been on hold. Pre-processing is straightforward with a script, but if I could just get from the linear corrected and noise-reduced file to one with a normal tone curve and a format that I could open in PS, I'd be happy for now.

Glennie Passier
07-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Diane, I saw this image when you first posted it and didn't comment. I am sorry for that. I look at this image and other similar ones you have posted, and think to myself that this is so far out of my league, it's just not funny. Your knowledge is astounding and your images are inspirational.

This is image is truly beautiful, and puts our nanospopic size into perspective.