PDA

View Full Version : mount Chaberton

Valerio Tarone
07-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Nikon D300 tokina16-50 at 28mm. iso 200 f5 1/400 Ev+1,0 semispot wb automatic
In ACR I treated and retreated the sky with filters, the clouds were too dark and violet, before.
Diane: intensity 40
radius 1,0
details 50
mask0
luminance 15
luminance details 50
contrast 0
colors 15
details color 50
This is what i read in the web, but i'm not sure if it's completely correct or not.
Sorry I shall not connected for 13 days.
thank you for comments.

Diane Miller
07-02-2016, 04:31 PM
A very nice view with very interesting weather. The FG has a very yellow-cyan cast, which is pleasant but more creative than realistic. Maybe that came from trying to correct for the sky color you mention -- I'm not sure what would cause a sky to look like you describe and I wonder if some other settings are less than ideal to cause it.

You might consider cloning or cropping out the two out of focus dark areas in the lower left.

The first thing I see is the blown out clouds in the upper left. This would have been an ideal situation for a second, lower exposure to be blended there. (Or is there possibly enough detail that some can be recovered in raw conversion?)

I almost never change the settings you show from the Detail section. I just leave them at the defaults. You can find a lot of recommendations, but I don't think any of them will apply to all images. I rely on the capture for sharpness, and PS plug-ins for noise reduction.

Don Railton
07-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Hi Valerio

I like the composition but the blown TLC would make this image a difficult one to become a great image in my opinion. Diane has pointed out the colour casts in the FG and clouds, I have to agree..

DON

Valerio Tarone
07-10-2016, 01:51 PM
thank both Diane, Don.It was only a challenge for my ability in managing lights-shadows. Color cast in Lower part probably due to personal wb more 'hot colors'. In UL evidently the overlaying of the 2 filters made the clouds too dark.

Diane Miller
07-10-2016, 02:12 PM
In an image like this with a big range of exposure from the very bright clouds in the UL to the rest of the image, I would do a bracketed set of exposures. (On a tripod, of course.) In ACR I would combine them into an HDR -- you can get an amazingly normal appearance using that software. (This feature is in the version of ACR that came with PS CS 6 or PS CC.) When you use that feature you will get a DNG file -- a true raw -- and you will have the normal huge range of adjustments available on it.

If you have an earlier version on PS, you can use third party HDR programs, but they can be difficult to get a good natural appearance, and you won't have a raw file. This one feature, and the corresponding panorama merge, is well worth the cost of upgrading, for me.

I don't use ACR (I prefer Lightroom) but I just finished a tutorial on how to simulate Art Vivid HDR and do it better, and I added to that a reference to how to do the HDR merge step in ACR. Check it out on the Tutorials page on my website.

Valerio Tarone
07-11-2016, 05:04 AM
Yes, thank you Diane. I too think it's better with HDR. I'm always waiting a friend who should coming home to teach me! I have the new, last version of PS.

Diane Miller
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
HDR is SOOO easy with your software. And with the right exposure set it will almost always give a great result. Check out my tutorial and the link to how to use ACR for it. It may not be so easy to have to figure it out in English. If you have questions, shoot them here.

When your friend makes it over you can just relax and enjoy your pictures!

Valerio Tarone
07-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Thank you Diane, I will!