PDA

View Full Version : Don't I look like a Bald Eagle?....

Diane Miller
07-01-2016, 01:47 PM
... maybe just a LITTLE??

Canon 1DX2, 100-400 II + 1.4X III at 560mm, ISO 3200, 1/320 at f/13. Tripod, foggy morning.

This little guy is an occasional visitor to our feeders. I was set up for larger birds but couldn’t resist shooting him (or her??) in an uncommonly normal bird pose. This is a crop to 37% of the original frame. The detail at a high ISO and large crop speaks well of the lens and the camera.

Very basic processing. In LR I needed only some Highlight and Shadow adjustments. Then in PS I used Nik Dfine for noise, just on the BG, although I doubt the difference would show much here if I had skipped that step. The tail was not sharp so I did a High Pass layer and masked it to just the tail. This kind of sharpening on a master file is not so onerous, and is on a layer that can be turned off if it causes artifacts on resizing for various outputs. No other sharpening except the default LR uses when it resizes for Export.

Daniel Cadieux
07-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I love nuthatches so I am happy to view this image! I love the pose, details, perch, clean BG. The IQ held up to the large crop very well indeed, but I think you could add back a little bit more canvas (looks OK as is, and subjective as you know). I'd also puch up the saturation a bit. All else looks really good to me. I suppose it has wings, a bill, feathers, and flies...like an eagle :-)

Stu Bowie
07-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Hi Diane, lovely pose, and I like the feather detail and how the wings are crossed over. Good result for a large crop and high ISO. Well captured.

William Dickson
07-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Lovely detail on the bird and perch. Great processing to make it look this good. Do you think you could have achieved this with the 1DX Mk1?

Will

Diane Miller
07-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys!

Will, I've never used the Mk I. I had decided to get the 5D3 instead as the noise was said to be the same, but then I began to get more interested in birds and regretted the decision within the year, due to AF limitations. I've been waiting longer than I had hoped for the Mk II and jumped on it as soon as it went live. I LOVE it. My rough impression is that there is about 1-1.5 stops better noise than the 5D3, and 2-2.5 better than the 7D2.

Glennie Passier
07-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Diane, great little bird. I like the POV, fine detail and nice light. Interesting PP.

christopher galeski
07-02-2016, 02:10 AM
Loverly capture,nice pose,like the BG,good detail and perch.TFS.

keith mitchell
07-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Diane you have got some lovely detail on the bird,head and it's eye look really sharp ,pose makes it for me.

Keith.

Michael Thompson
07-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I love the sharpness and detail, great colors, background and perch

Warren Spreng
07-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Great shot Diane, beautiful details in the wings and love the pose!

Glenn Conlan
07-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Man is that detailed, love the image and great bird position and perch

Diane Miller
07-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone!!