Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 800
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash On
Flash Type External Flash : E-TTL flash metering
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation -2

I don't normally go a bundle on dark backgrounds but I was playing around with different settings balancing ambient light against flash - or not so much as in this case. I thought it gave a slightly different choice of view. I am interested to see if you are in favour or otherwise. I quite like it and the the thin gossamer thread - for me it conveys a little authenticity. I nearly cloned the highlights but again I decided to leave them there - simply because they were there, the cynic in me would say I would have expected to see some.

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Hi Jon, I quite like the idea of a dark background, but here you have various darkish/warm tones which create interest, rather than the somber boring, black, although you might want to address some areas in the top LHC that catch the eye??? Although way out of my depth in shooting this, I do think you can gain more depth & tone from the image which even at this size shows there is more to be teased out. In doing so the head & body take on a more rounded 3D look/appearance IMHO with the added flash.

Best to see it in PS side by side for comparison.

TFS
Steve

MiroslavMaric
07-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Like the composition (If mine I would add a bit of room around), dark BG and details. Steve's PP is well done but due to sharpness I guess the harsh light on the wings is more visible, so from my point of view I would use the wings from OP. Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
07-03-2016, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Steve I did in fact prepare an image very much like your version using ACR, it initially seems more appealing but in fact it is not the truth. By the time there is that much contrast in the young adult there is much more colour, as you see the colours are very muted becasue he is only minutes old, so the version I posted is nearer to the truth.

Steve Kaluski
07-03-2016, 08:06 AM
That's fine Jon. :S3: