PDA

View Full Version : Scent marking Red squirrel.

keith mitchell
07-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
1/4000@f8
iso 2000.

iso and shutter speed for airborne Squirrels.Fur is between Summer and Winter coat,would love to find one without the bald patch around the eye.

Steve Kaluski
07-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Hi Keith, what's not to like here.

Colour and detail look pretty spot on and thanks for the clarification re the Techs. Killer BKG, creates a lovely backdrop to the richness of the subject. Some may feel the white patches on the brach a bit distracting, but it's real, although how the branch is placed isn't for me, but... :w3.

Just watch the white halo creeping in along the underneath of the contour outline of the moss/branch.

Nice one Keith.

TFS
Steve

PS Perhaps a sliver more below, on reflection???

christopher galeski
07-02-2016, 02:21 AM
Very nice Keith,nice detail in the fur,like the pose,the branch is nice with the lichen and moss on it,the BG shows the perch and squirrel off nice.TFS.

keith mitchell
07-02-2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks Steve and Chris,Steve(Just watch the white halo creeping in along the underneath of the contour outline of the moss/branch.) I selected the Squirrel and the branch to apply a little nr to the the bg ,could this be what you are seeing?

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2016, 03:50 AM
Keith at ISO2000 you should not need to apply any NR, the files are that clean on the D4. The very slight halo I think is from sharpening/masking and not from the NR. If you are using Layers & Masks then it really is a very quick & simple fix Keith.

Ritesh Nangare
07-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Brilliant search , lovely details.....

Awesome catch here....

TFS.

MiroslavMaric
07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Nice photo, like it a lot! Like the perch, details and position in the frame. Well done.

Rachel Hollander
07-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Hi Keith - One of your best for me in terms of color and tones. What a fun image though the tail straight up and the tufts make it look a bit scared. For me the branch and balancing act adds to the image. Lovely bg. Steve's suggestion is an easy fix.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
07-04-2016, 04:02 AM
Hi Keith-- Excellent image ! Certainly one of your best . You must have been well versed in their behaviour, as your images are so well timed .

TFS !

keith mitchell
07-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks to you all,very pleased about the colour problem that i have had, looks like it might be solved,Haseeb not had a camera all that long but have spent the last 60 to 70 years in the woods and fields studying all the wildlife around me which does help me when it comes to me trying to take a picture.

Keith.

Stuart Philpott
07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Keith,must say i'm struggling with the recent news,please forgive, know you understand .
Keith, mate, this is special,for me it's not only the excellence of this image,but also your colours are for me brill. Ahh mate i'm so so happy just for you on that aspect alone. The frame is gorgeous the uplift to the tail brings alertness for me, echoed by the head and facial expression,lovely branch with lichens and moss that I know.

Ain't it cool that all that learning without a camera comes to the fore yonks later in a picture Keith,your post brings hope for another namely me,maybe one day i'll be able to take a picture like this ,I've actually said similar tonight to another here ,but in reverse:

I feel the highest praise I could give is to wish that this image was mine i'm as honest as they come Keith ,but I want to steal this:bg3:

My complete congratulations, up there with the very best I've seen from you my friend a complete joy to view and incredibly inspiring
speak soon buddy sorry slow you know why

take care TFS

Stu

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Hey Keith. Dig the pose and separation from the BG here!
I agree that this is one of your best technically and processing-wise...

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Keith I think this image is absolutely excellent, I love the set up and the colours. That big bushy tail is great and it makes a change to see a squirrel in this state of dress as it were, probably one of the clearest shots of a squirrel's ear I have seen!

keith mitchell
07-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks Stu,Morkel,Jon big thanks for the help with the colours on my images.

Keith.