PDA

View Full Version : For Gabriela

Rachel Hollander
06-27-2016, 08:10 PM
We have all learned that Gabriela really likes the tiny wildlife (rodents). These are Uinta Ground Squirrels photographed in Grand Teton National Park. They only come out of their burrows once it warms up a bit so the light was stronger. These were right by the famous Moulton Barns.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/1000
f6.3
ISO 400
HH, ff, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

keith mitchell
06-28-2016, 02:13 AM
Rachel Gabriela's sure to like these and she is not alone ,it's right up my street.I could see a version with a tiny bit off the top but that apart it ticks all the boxes for me.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
06-28-2016, 04:34 AM
Hi Rachel, again nice to see a different species here.

Light looks well handled, but I feel you needed more DoF as the RH subject is on the same 'Plane of Focus', but a tad more in front, look at the eye, the left subject is sharp, right less so. Being slightly at an angle it throws things. loosing some off the top won't hurt and will strengthen the comp IMHO. Nice to see a glimpse of the tail, almost acts as an actor, Gabriela will love it!!!

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
06-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Rachel -- This is so cute ! You have managed to bring out the details so well and handled the light very nicely . I would also echo Steve's opinion on the DOF , it would have even better had the two of them came out sharp . Nice image though and TFS !

keith mitchell
06-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Rachel had not noticed the little chap on the right was slightly oof until it was pointed out,is there anything you can do about that?because it does not look to far out.

Keith.

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Thank you all. Yes, the fp was on the one on the left and I needed a little more dof to have them both pin sharp but I am ok with it as is. Keith, you cannot make an oof object in focus with sharpening.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Of course I am loving this! A lot! Thank you from the heart, dearest Rachel:5

My apologies for coming in late, I wish I was first to comment here! I am having hardware and software issues, busy to solve them so did not get a chance to process, post or comment as usual. It might take me a few days to figure things out, I will be back.

Let us get back to your...err...my Uintas! I think they are adorable and the pose is fantastic! They "pop" nicely IMO, had you increased F-stop to have the second subject perfectly sharp you might have ended up with a more overwhelming BG, so a compromise I understand. Some suggested you take some of the top, this is perhaps because the frame appears a wee tight on the bottom: I guess you had too much vegetation there and decided to avoid it. I am trying to put myself in your shoes now, had to deal with similar situations often when shooting small creatures in the KTP and it was really not easy, given the tall bushes and grasses that always surround them. These guys are almost never in the open. Keith will agree with me, small chaps are fast and we do not get many chances!

Lovely colours and tonality on the little Uintas. Their eyes are so lively. So pretty those faces, and so quizzical...Theatrical little critters yes, Steve is absolutely right! I can just imagine their rhythmical movements as they pop up at the same time, scanning surroundings, listening to sounds, ready to run to safety. One of your cutest images Rachel, I am seeing this species for the first time tonight and I am delighted.

I cannot process anything tonight so just sitting here by my computer, trying this and that, doing backups, looking at various images. Been thinking how fortunate us photographers are. With the click of one button (and a few other things like "technical" skills, LOL) we bring Nature's creatures back home. We steal the moment. Our eyes are attuned to seeing around us much more than the ordinary tourist/ park visitor. We are not indifferent to Nature and our capacity to appreciate it translates into images we are so willing to share. I just realised how important photography is to me, Rachel. Thank you again for sharing, appreciated, looking forward to more...

Warmest regards,

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Beautiful little guys, beyond cute. I love the matching poses and the habitat shown. Thank you for sharing, Rachel.

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2016, 06:20 AM
Lovely shot Rachel, great details in the LHS squirrel, lovely colours in the fur.
(Location noted!)

Marc Mol
06-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Cute moment well captured Rachel, the low angle and symmetry in the pose all enhancing nicely.

The Central Kalahari in the wet season make for a haven for these guys closely related species.

TFS

Andreas Liedmann
06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Hi Rachel ... lovely looking twins ...
Well timed frame and i like the overall color and tonal combo , as usual sharp and nice clear details .
I can see a tighter version with less space above their heads ... and i might try to reduce the contrast in the BG greenery a fraction for a better separation between subject and greenery , just a thought .

Very cute and knew Gabriela would love this one .Mrs Nice Mice :bg3:

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Rachel

Stu Bowie
06-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Hi Rachel , super poses from both Squirrels - love their folded arms/legs. Im fine that we cant see their feet, but Im sure their fur may be covering them anyway.

Hope you got to see lots on your trip.

John Hackney
07-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Great angle and shot Rachel. Very difficult to get these little ones in the time they allot us.

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks Stu and John

D. Robert Franz
07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Tough getting them in the same plane of focus, quick movers... I like going very low on these guys (belly crawling) to help control DOF and perhaps allowing you to stop down a bit more to gain DOF for end animal.. You're right about them being warm sun lovers! Like the diagonal comp...

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks Dale. I think I was on my elbows for this one but not sure.