PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting

Nonda Surratt
06-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Nothing fancy. I believe I like the 200 prime best for close-ups, the 70-200 does well enough that I won't need to drag two cameras and two lenses around, or even two lenses. The zoom, when I remember to zoom, for whole trees and 'in garden' images. Getting rid of all the stringy things is almost impossible.

Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera' aka Tanyosho Pine..For Bruce or anyone else interested

Tried different f-stops and 3.2 gave me more the look I was after. Wind has been a real issue of late:(

Your thoughts/critique.

MIII, 70-200f2.8@ F3.2, 155mm, ISO 400, 1/250

Robert Amoruso
06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Nonda,

You did exceptionally well here. I really like this image. The blue pine cones contrast so well with the greens of the image. I like the soft look and think the DOF is just right.

Mike Moats
06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey Nonda, you did a nice job on this one. As Robert points out great contrast and DOF. Another option would have been to run the branch on a diagonal rather than straight up and down. I like that you shot with different f/stops (pixels are free.)so it gave you options to pick from when you got it up on the computer. As you shoot more macro and get a better feel on the DOF in this close range, you may not need to bracket f/stops, but till than if not sure,bracket. Love the image. Keep em coming.

Nonda Surratt
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
High praise indeed, thanks much! To be honest I was making these type of images long before birds entered the picture and it is wonderful nice to now have them critiqued!

Just for fun..and this was made as a JPG, from 05 and my second hand D-Reb.

http://Thusie.smugmug.com/photos/50237062_2uDo5-L.jpg

Stephen Stephen
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Nonda I love the colour combination here and the DOF used. The "stringy things" look like spider webs to me.

Alfred Forns
06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Love it Nonda Has great feel !!! The more I look at it the more I would like to see it taller? Not sure if it makes sense !!!! I like it a lot !!!!

Fabs Forns
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Fantastic DOF, I'd probably crop closer on the sides.

Mike Moats
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Hey Nonda, I shoot all my macro images with jpegs, never shoot raw and I process on elements 2.0:D I've never had a magazine, graphic designer, calender company, advertisers, gallery or print sale customer ever tell me my images didn't produce with excellent quailty, and I've blown them up to 24" X 36" and they still look great. One I blew up recently was from my old Fuji S2 which was a six meg camera and it look great at 24" X 36". So don't let anybody tell you that you can't make good images with jpegs. If I were shooting landscapes and dealing with high dynamic range on exposure, I would shoot raw for the ease of adjustment in exporure problems, but with macro we control the light and don't have the HDR issues. If you shoot the image correctly in the field you don't have to do much in the processing.

Nonda Surratt
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
LOL..Mike you might control the light I've never used a flash in my life!!! The whole idea freaks me out:eek: One of those must, in the near future, lean things. Photography classes are the next order of business.

Fabs was wondering about the sides, didn't want to cramp but I think it might look better.

Taller makes perfect sense Alfred!

Mike Moats
06-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey Nonda, I have never used a flash on any of my images. I shoot all my images using nartural light and I control the light with diffussers and reflectors. Now maybe for bug shooters it would be nice to have some fill flash but I'm not a bug shooter so I can get by withoput the flash. I do macro workshops up here in Michigan so if you are looking to take any workshop check out my line up on my website.

Gus Cobos
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Very, very nice Nonda, I like this one very much. I like the details and the color tones...good show. Its soft and delicate...:D:cool:

Nonda Surratt
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Hope to be heading to FL in Feb Mike, Michigan is drivable. Still need to learn to use a flash:-)

Thanks Gus!

Julie Kenward
06-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Beautiful, Nonda! I love the berries - they really make the image pop. I wish it was a bit more elongated, too, but then you'd love the impact of the berries.

Bruce Gove
06-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Nonda - What a superb image. Thanks for the Linean heriarchy ;) Those cones are the color of blue berries!! I can see why you and Hubby are drawn to these conifers. Really special image !!!

Bruce