PDA

View Full Version : And Now For Something (A Little) Different!

Ed Vatza
06-12-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm not sure if this is the Yellow Goatsbeard seed pod that Mike talked about but it seems to fit the bill. This image was made at a totally different location from the Goatsbeard flower image I posted earlier in the week and was the only one I saw where I was last evening. The plant is about 3+ feet tall and the seed pod was at least baseball-sized if not a tad bigger.

Image made using my Rebel XT, Sigma 70mm Macro lens, 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox mounted on a bracket and all handheld.

1/800 sec at f/2.8; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -1

Gus Cobos
06-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I like this very much Ed,
The colors and details are fantastic...:cool:

John Cooper
06-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Very well done indeed Ed!! A beautiful pattern image and delicate tones. Just a pity the circle of sharpness didn't continue around the bottom section.

Robert Amoruso
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Ed,

This is exceptionally cool looking. I love the symmetry of the image. I might have liked to see the edges of the pod not clipped but I don't find it a big deal as I think that going tight accentuate the symmetry.

Nonda Surratt
06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Love the layers and the soft color variations! The center color not something often noticed is super!

Mike Moats
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey Ed, looks and sounds like the seedhead of the Goatsbeard. You did a nice job, and agree with Robert on the slight clip of the tips. There's many different comps you can do with this seedhead, so if you get a chance, go back and experiment. I cropped one idea for you from your image.

Sharna Lee
06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
What a fantastic job here. The edges being clipped doesn't bother me at all.
I think Mike has a cool idea, clipping sections and sharing them as well.
Good job on this.

Sharna

Stephen Stephen
06-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Very nice Ed. I might even be tempted to try a crop that bisects the image at teh centre leaving the top half as a pano type image.

Fabs Forns
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I see many crops that could still work as independent images here. Very well done.

Alfred Forns
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Great presentation Ed !! Also like Mike's idea a lot Such a strong subjects lends itself to different crops.

Would also try the opposite from what you were doing and gong for maximum dof Fascinating subject !!!

Ed Vatza
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey everyone,

I thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. As always, I really appreciate hearing from you. This was the very last series of images I made last evening no more than 20 feet from my car as I returned by a different path than I took to start. It was certainly fun to work with this subject.

I also decided I wanted to work more with wide open apertures last evening so most of the images made were somewhere between f/2.8 (like this one) and f/5.6 with a couple of f/8 thrown in but that was it. I was generally pleased with what I got out of the evening and particularly pleased with this image.

I do agree that there is a lot that can be done with it. But alas, we can only post one image at a time. ;) And as Robert alluded to, I really loved the symmetry of the circle in a square with triangles making up the four corners. That is ultimately where the clipped tips came from. I did it on purpose to give me the image that I wanted.

Once again, I am really pleased to hear that you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Julie Kenward
06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Love it just the way it is, Ed. I think you got the composition just right.