PDA

View Full Version : Typical Northern lights in Minnesota

Michael Thompson
06-24-2016, 09:02 PM
I stopped for 5 minutes to get a few shots of the Northern lights, at Freeport MN after a long run yesterday. I used to stay up all night for these, I am getting more picky about my northern lights in my old age :2eyes2: ! canon 7Dll, sigma 18-35 mm 2 seconds 18mmm at f 1.8, 4000 iso, no editing other than a slight bit of clarity and noise reduction in lightroom.

Diane Miller
06-24-2016, 09:41 PM
The Northern Lights ate still on my bucket list. Awesome to be able to see them, much less photograph them! Are both the vertical shafts and the green glow the lights??

Is there enough leeway way in the raw file to tone down the FG lights a little -- especially the brightest one n the center?? Otherwise, the shapes on the horizon contribute a nice interest to the image.

The purple and chartreuse go nicely together, but I wonder if a different color balance is worth a look -- to go bluer or more neutral with the sky?

Michael Thompson
06-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Hi Diane, yes both are the lights! This is the typical display in MN, I have far better ones, I will post some more from the past soon. I could tone down the lights or clone them out for sure. I like the natural colors on this one, but you are welcome to try some others out! ~ MT

Diane Miller
06-24-2016, 11:26 PM
I see the UL area of the sky is the color I'd expect, so I'll believe you that the lights have given it the purple color. Beautiful!