PDA

View Full Version : Mimic

Steve Maxson
06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Mimicry is widespread in the insect world. This harmless Syrphid Fly (Temnostoma sp.) (aka - Flower Fly, Hover Fly) is a striking mimic of a Mason Wasp (Euodynerus sp.). The fly even extends and waves its front legs around to mimic the longer antennae of the wasp. There are over 870 species of Syrphids in N. America and most are mimics of bees or wasps - they are also valuable pollinators of flowers. 1D X, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/11, ISO 1600, AF, hand held, natural light. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Great capture wonderful details and colours, I have a minor reservation over the top right corner being uniform. The DOF is good the left foreleg and right wing tip are just a little soft. The light is very good - did you use a diffuser?

Steve Kaluski
06-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Simple, yet a cracking image Steve. I'll leave the techs to Jon, but my only wish would have been more leaf to cover the RHC.

TFS
Steve

Nancy Bell
06-24-2016, 04:30 PM
The fly is terrific, with outstanding details and good clear colors. I suspect that upper corner is OOF bkgd, and since it is the same green I'm o.k. with it.

John Robinson
06-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Great texture on the fly Steve. The top RH corner doesn't bother me at all. The leaf makes a good backdrop. I used to love my hundred macro
John

Steve Maxson
06-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! :S3:

Jon - no diffuser was used. The light happened to be soft that day. Nancy - yes, the URC is OOF background.

Ron Conlon
06-25-2016, 01:38 PM
That the leaf that the fly is on is within the dof and is so nice really sets this apart. A creative and original approach.