PDA

View Full Version : Two Fritillaries

John Robinson
06-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Small pearl Bordered Fritillaries Wyre Forest
One of those “red letter days”- whatever it means..Loads of garden stuff with a whole family of GSWoodpeckers and Nuthatches with young.Got some nice Spotted Flycatcher stuff at the nest and a load of limestone plants including 4 orchid species, and a dragonfly I,ve been after for longer than I care to mention. Loads of butterfly stuff.
I have the knack of finding the Small Pearl Bordered Fritts at roost, but this was something special. Only ever found singles. At about quarter to nine toniight I came a cross two of them disputing the right to sleep on the same juncus seed head. Never seen that before..
They calmed down after a brief fluttering session .and sat facing each other. The daylight(should I say darkness – exposure was one eighth of a second at 800 ISO at f10..No way I could hold that.
I ended up using a whole mix match of settings including flash fill, and had no tripod,
I was really chuffed at the results. Sometimes it a;ll comes together
A great day in all with enough to process with my slow old PSP for the next week or two !!
This is just one of many- actually got some of them wing flapping.,which I, can put on later if anyone is interested..

Nikon D7100
Sigma 50 mm macro
800 ISO
Fill flash( on camera)
EV-one stop
60th sec(flash sync)@f 7.1
Neat image.(hardly needed it)
PP in Paint Shop Pro - levels
Slight crop
Sharpen on resize for web.
Cheers
JohnR

MiroslavMaric
06-24-2016, 01:50 AM
Great time in your neighborhood, glad you enjoy. Like the description, pose in the frame and details. Good light and natural colors. For my taste the BG tone could be different to separate from the perch (not an easy task). TFS.

Nancy Bell
06-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Great find and great capture of these two! Lucky that they were both parallel to your camera and you got excellent details on both. I like how they appear to be facing off to each other, as you describe. Gives them character. Also the orange really pops out from the dark green bkgd. Well done!

Steve Maxson
06-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Two nice poses and a great job of getting them both within your DOF - and under less than ideal circumstances, too! Very well done!

John Robinson
06-25-2016, 12:21 PM
+Thanks people. Appreciated
JohnR

Ron Conlon
06-25-2016, 01:41 PM
It's great when it all comes together, wonderful ephemeral subject and hard work on the camera end. The composition is wonderful and I like the way the background is as well.