Exposure Compensation -1
ISO Speed 320
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Flash On
Flash Type External Ring Flash : TTL flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Focal Length 180.0mm
I went looking for fritillaries but couldn't find any. I found this ringlet, I think it must be newly emerged as the wings did not appear to be rigid yet (the ones on the other side).
I transferred the butterfly to my finger and then onto the bud in order to get a more presentable background. Image processed in DPP/CS6
All C&C welcome

MiroslavMaric
06-24-2016, 01:56 AM
Like the details, light and pose. Good pose in the landscape frame. My personal taste, for this perch & subject position I would like to see portrait frame too. TFS.

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2016, 05:43 AM
Like the details, light and pose. Good pose in the landscape frame. My personal taste, for this perch & subject position I would like to see portrait frame too. TFS.

Yes Miro I was torn which version to post, here is the portrait version.

MiroslavMaric
06-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Well done both versions. TFS.

Nancy Bell
06-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Pretty close to perfect...sharp details on the butterfly, excellent position, nice simple perch on a diagonal, lovely blurred bkgd with hints of summer flower colors in addition to the greens. I like both presentations. With the vertical image, I would prefer just a bit less room on top. On the horizontal image, I do like those blurred colors on the left edge in the direction the butterfly is facing.

Steve Maxson
06-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Looks like you nailed it with both comps, Jon! Pose, sharpness, light, background - all top notch!

Ron Conlon
06-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Wonderful background, terrific color and detail. I like the portrait crop better. Terrific stuff.

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Hi Jon, I prefer the OP as the subject requires room to breath, the RP is just too tight I feel, plus if you are going to swop formats then you should also shoot it in both formats to retain IQ. Based on the OP I might have double processed the file to gain more texture & detail from the plant too.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
06-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Hi Jon, I prefer the OP as the subject requires room to breath, the RP is just too tight I feel, plus if you are going to swop formats then you should also shoot it in both formats to retain IQ. Based on the OP I might have double processed the file to gain more texture & detail from the plant too.

TFS
Steve

I am intrigued Steve - double processed not sure you mean - two files at different exposures and blended to maximise the initial settings at conversion much as you would say a grebe where the whites may be partly blown and one conversion would be linear and the other regular??