PDA

View Full Version : Gently does it...

Steve Kaluski
06-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Sometimes crossing the pack ice requires a 'nibble' footing!!! :bg3:

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) crossing the pack ice and frozen water
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII HH (leaning over the railing of the ship)
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1600 EV +0.67
Original format: Landscape, slight crop
Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

MiroslavMaric
06-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Like the frame, pose, details and tone. I guess the left side legs could be in better pose but I would be very proud to have this shot. TFS.

Gabriela Plesea
06-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Good evening Steve,

Very interesting capture with the Bear precariously crossing a rather fragmented pack ice - did he make it to the other side without falling into icy waters?

I would like to have a view "from the side", and this is because I am curious about the front and hind left limbs and the way they seem to support, or touch each other. IMO the actual POV (from above) works very well and you were extremely creative, not only in the field but also later with PP work: I am assuming you took off just a tad from the top and allowed enough at the bottom of the frame, this gave you quite a nice perspective. Lots of detail and the exposure is spot-on, sharpness in good measure, great techs as expected. Some blood on the nose of the bear adds a degree of drama, interesting to see it has not been overemphasised in keeping with the overall look of the frame: bear looks relaxed and what looks like a dangerous walk is probably a casual stroll to him, he does it every day and he will swim if need be:)

Steve, I always enjoy writing a critique on your images, they are inspiring and your PP work extremely thoughtful. I might have ignored some of the technical aspects here but there is nothing I would want to change. I think I do understand the basic aspects of wildlife photography by now, just thinking it would take a lot more for me to be as consistent as you are in your work.

One last thought: I really like the "unprocessed", clean look of this frame and IQ, which I am rather jealous of - superb work!

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
06-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Hi Steve extraordinary frame from the editing POV .... love it ... specially the overall color palette with the water color as the cherry on top of the cake :S3:
Great work .
i like the unusual view and the crop / comp .... if being really critical i might like to see a tiny bit more room for the left hind leg .... and if being really picky :t3 i wish that no intersection of the head was going with the ice flow , but that was not in your hand ....
As always very thoughtful processed ...
Lovely work !!!!

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
06-21-2016, 11:35 PM
A nice moment here, the blood on the snout adds a lot of colour and context to the story Steve.
The overall colour palette is very nice indeed. The top-down POV shows the ice and icey water well too.

haseeb badar
06-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Hi Steve -- This has come out so very well . I totally agree with the colour palette and also the unusual high angle works so well here . Again the IQ is fantastic as usual and yes the left hind leg with more room would have been ideal .

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
06-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Hi Steve - I think you should call it "Walking on Water." Beautiful detail and color in the bear, snow and water. I do wish for just a sliver more on the left but not a deal breaker. Agree with Morkel that the blood on the snout adds a bit of punch to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
06-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Hi Steve

Bit late, but here is my few pennies..
The numb-nail was already drawing me in.
Colours are magic, stunning detail in whites...(even at +2/3? did you use Matrix?)
Did you do a D&B layer?
Looks like his right rear foot is slipping...another vote for "what happened next?"
The POV is unusual for what see here, but it works for me.
Stunner!